11: Welcome To The World

The next morning when I woke up I didn't feel Alex laying next to me. My eyes shot open to confirm that he wasn't there. I maneuvered to the wheelchair and then wheeled out to the kitchen. I stopped when I saw Alex sitting at the kitchen counter, resting his elbows on the counter while his face was in his hands. As I got closer I saw his chest heaving up and down like he was crying.

"Alex, is everything ok?" I asked as I pulled up behind him and rested a hand on his back.

"I'm so sorry Abbie, I should have told you sooner." he sobbed.

"Told me what? Alex, what are you not telling me?" His words were starting to make me nervous.

"That day, the time you saw me and your nurse kissing. I know you won't believe me but I did not want that. Not one bit. She just stopped me, telling me that she had some bad news about you. For a minute my world was a dark tunnel, no light at the end. I was about to ask her what had happened when she put her hands on the back of my head and pulled me down to her. She was right up against the wall when she pulled me down on her. And just to my luck that's when you came out. All I can say is that you came out at the wrong time, if you had come out a few seconds before you would have seen what had happened." He wept.

"Alex, why didn't you just tell me this right away?" I questioned.

"You would have thought that I was making up excuses and, well, I didn't want to lose you because of that." He was hysterical.

"It's ok Alex, I do wish you would have told me sooner though." I gave him a side hug and kissed his cheek before going to make cereal.

4 and a half months later

I woke up in excruciating pain coming from my lower abdomen. It felt like someone was taking a knife and scraping it along the inside of my abdomen. The doctor told us this might happen soon but I wasn't expecting it to be this painful. A few days ago I became officially overdue for a twin pregnancy, which is 38 weeks. I had to let the pain pass before I could finally speak again.

"Alex, Alex wake up please." I moaned while shaking his shoulder. He immediately shot up.

"What's wrong baby? Are you ok?" he was already out of bed, throwing clothes on quickly.

"It hurts." I cried.

"Do you think it's a contraction?" He asked while picking me up to place me on my wheelchair.

"I think so? I've never gone through this before so how the hell would I know?" I snapped. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap at you, it just hurts so damn much right now. Also what time is it?"

"Hey it's ok baby. I'll try to get you to the hospital as soon as possible, ok? Oh and it's 1:25 AM."

"We shouldn't let your parents know yet, they would be there and we don't even know when the boys will pop out anyway." I murmured.

"Yeah you're right. But could I tell them later this morning? Christine always calls at 6:30 so we can talk while she starts her run." Alex threw our hospital bag over his shoulder and started to push me towards the driveway.

"Yeah that's fine, I just don't want to bother them at this time. Lap the timer again, another one is coming." Just as I said that my stomach tightened again and shot waves of pain through my whole body.

After ten minutes of driving we finally made it to the hospital. The second Alex pushed me through the door, nurses started to crowd around me. They asked Alex some questions and then rushed me to a room.

Once we were in the room the nurses had me change into a hospital gown and helped me up onto the bed. Once I was on the bed they had me place my legs on the stirrups and checked to see how dilated I am.