Chapter 12

~Declan.

My walk home from the Paige mansion seemed to hardly take any time at all. After all, I could be sure it wasn't every day a classy woman like Tahlia agreed to an impromptu date like the one I'd be taking her on. As I strode down the sidewalk, I couldn't decide whether this opportunity I'd been granted was more a privilege or a responsibility. Either way, I'd have to make sure to make this date supremely enjoyable and well worth her time.

I spent most the afternoon alternating between preparing for the date and hyping myself up for it. Thanks to the increased income from working in the Paige band, I'd been able to afford a proper suit I could wear proudly. Navy blue suited me well, and paired with my deep red tie, I'd say I had a nice ensemble prepared. I also spent much more time than usual grooming, combing my hair as perfectly as I could and shaving my beard down to just a blond shadow.

Soon enough, it was showtime. More accurately, the time had come for me to head out and make my way downtown to catch a taxi and backtrack to the Paige mansion. Embarrassing as it would be to roll up in a taxi instead of a fancy car of my own, I didn't really have a choice besides walking. And considering the possibility Tahlia may have chosen to wear heels, I didn't plan to suddenly propose walking all the way downtown.

Fifteen minutes of walking, and I arrived downtown, ironically only five minutes or so away from Karrie's. I didn't need to wait long before a vacant taxi turned onto the street I stood along, so after hailing it, I hopped in and instructed the driver where to go. He glanced back with a raised eyebrow upon hearing I planned to go to the upper class neighborhood the Paiges resided in, but made a U-turn and cruised down the road anyway.

After a short drive with minimal conversation, we rolled up to the Paige mansion. My nervousness spontaneously doubled as my hand gripped the door handle to make my exit. My already pounding heart somehow found a way to beat harder, and I also felt an uncomfortable stirring in the pit of my stomach. Strange that excitement could feel so bad.

I pressed on and exited the vehicle after instructing the driver to wait a minute for me to return with another passenger. Then I turned to face the mansion which towered three stories over me, with its many windows glowing from within like a bunch of curious eyes. With a gulp, I breached the fence and headed for the front porch. Well, more accurately, I merely opened the gate and stepped through, but my nerves made the ordeal feel as if I were raiding a castle to abduct a princess.

My shoes clomped on the porch steps as I went up. I passed a motion sensor once I tread on the top step, and instantly, a pair of brighter lights jumped to life on either side of the front door. I jumped at the sudden illumination, mainly because my nerves already felt frayed. With no lack of apprehension, I approached the sturdy door and rang the doorbell next to it. Then I stepped back to wait, hands folded behind my back and breaths heavy.

Before long, the door opened a crack, and a thin-faced servant peeked his head through. "Good evening, sir. How may I help you?"

I coughed into the crook of my elbow. "Miss Tahlia Paige agreed go see a band with me, so I'm here to pick her up."

"Oh, I'll see if she's—oh, here she is!" the servant said, having glanced back inside.

He swung the door open more, allowing me my first glance at Tahlia for the evening. And that one look was nearly enough to overwhelm me. She'd outdone herself. For one, the skin on her face appeared flawless, nearly glowing in the light inside the mansion. Her cheeks bore a slight reddish tint, though whether that was natural or from makeup, I couldn't be sure. Lastly, the scarlet lipstick she wore accentuated her full lips.