He scratched his head, attempting not to pull off his wig again, and replied, "No, honestly. They were assholes. You were protecting your friend. That does not make you like them. Just think of it as a vigilante." Angel laughed.

I lightly shoved him with my right hand. "Not funny," I said through a suppressed smile.

"I would have done the same thing. People like that don't deserve mercy."

My mind raced for a reply. I didn't want to agree with him but if I didn't then that would make me a hypocrite. I wanted to be merciful, someone who showed kindness even to the worst people, but I just couldn't.

My mother had been killed by a drunk driver. It felt like that person had taken away the light of my life, just because they didn't think of the potential consequences before getting behind the wheel. This stranger took my mother from me. My everything. And they went unpunished. They came from a rich family who could afford an amazing lawyer, while my family was poor and could barely afford to sustain ourselves.

I began to cry. Feelings began to swirl within me that I had been suppressing the entirety of three years. It felt like a lion that had been starved was finally let out of its cage. I didn't know what to do with myself at that moment. It wasn't fair. Life wasn't fair. It felt like these feelings would someday consume me, to a point where I could never return and I would be submerged by darkness.

Then I felt something embrace me. And suddenly, it was like everything felt light. It felt like home.

Angel didn't know the reason why I was crying, but it didn't seem to matter to him. He held me close to his chest and the sound of his heartbeat calmed me down.

I would eventually tell him this story too. But not now. Right now, I just wanted to remain in his embrace for as long as possible.

°°°

A few days had passed since the incident with Hyacinth. She was promptly expelled from Lunacrest and sent back home.

The gossip on what happened to her changed almost every passing hour. They would say things like she was caught smuggling drugs, while others would say that she had tried strangling her roommate while she slept. All of which I wouldn't deny.

Things seemed to go on as normal. The five of us often studied in the library because finals were just a few days away. The idea that we could potentially win the fun trip was constantly on my mind. I think we all needed some happiness at this point. We were up to our ears in the materials we had to study.

Unfortunately, another incentive to get as far away from the academy as possible appeared as I searched for Angel in the music building.

He told me he would be there practicing for his music final. I went to go look for him because I wanted him to take a break. But as I was about to turn the corner, I overheard an older woman's voice.

Slightly peeking, I felt goosebumps rise throughout my body. An elegantly dressed woman in heels and red lipstick towered over Angel. His expression was unforgettable. He was cowering in fear and his eyes were wild.

As I attempted to get a closer look, the woman boomed, "Have you had any contact with Oleander?!"

And that was when I knew who she was. Her washed-out blonde hair should have been a dead giveaway. I instinctively clenched my fists. Not wanting to let my anger out again, I released them right away.

"N-No, I swear I haven't," Angel responded, his voice weary.

She got closer to him. Her eyes flashed. "Don't lie to your mother. I know you have. How else did she get those photos of you?!"

My heartbeat quickened. Oleander received the photos! Then that meant, behind the scenes, she was fighting for the custody of Angel.

"I-I... don't know..." His eyes flitted to the ground.

"And what's this I hear about you expelling a student? Did she find out about you? You better tell me the truth, you useless child, before I-" She raised her hand, signaling that she was getting ready to hit him.

There was absolutely no way I was going to allow that to happen. No, I will not be a bystander this time.

I quickly stepped out and cheered, "Angel, there you are! Oh wow! You must be Angel's mother, it's so great to finally meet you!"

I stood in front of Angel to block him from his mother. He wouldn't look at me, his head hung low. I stuck out my hand for her to shake and maintained a fake grin.

Looking at her up close, I noticed that her face was accentuated with high cheekbones and she held a stony expression. The devil—I had met the devil.

She eyed me up and down. "And you are?"

"My name is Camellia De Leon, ma'am. I'm friends with Angel and can I just say, what an amazing daughter you have! Truly amazing! She's so smart, gets straight A's in every subject! And her violin playing is just superb. I've truly never met anyone quite like her before, she truly is one of a kind!" I ended my long-winded speech with a fake smile.

Angel's mother studied me for a moment and replied, "Yes. I expect nothing less."

Then she walked past me without another word and stopped beside Angel. I heard her whisper to him, "We'll discuss this later." And disappeared into the darkness of the long hall.

I immediately turned around and spoke softly, "Are you alright?"

Angel's face was void of all expression as he slowly nodded. I took his hand and said, "C'mon, let's get out of here."

That night, he explained to me that his mother was afraid of something. She wouldn't have gone to the school by herself and have acted the way she did in public. What I could only infer by this was that Oleander was winning the case.

━━━━