Chapter 41 - Aster

Start from the beginning

"Speaking of which," the boy pipes up, "what are you doing here? Or more specifically"—he takes a step forward—"why were you in that cell?"

"I didn't do anything wrong."

The boy's eyes maintain their suspicious gleam. I wonder why he would assist in my rescue if he thought I was guilty of some crime.

She casts a glare at the boy. "We didn't say you did," she says, turning back to face me. "We're just curious how you ended up there. What did Lady Veradeaux want you for?"

I open my mouth to speak, trying to come up with what to say. Then fear grips me. This could be an illusion.

My mouth shuts. This would be such a clever way to get me to give up information.

The girl looks concerned. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, thank you." I don't feel like a walking corpse anymore. If this were an illusion, I would, at the least, still be fuzzy-headed.

Probably.

No, unless the illusionist saw this girl promise to help me, this can't be fake. Unless they created the girl too. But no. They wouldn't create me this strange space—a room splattered in orange—if they wanted me calm and cooperative. Unquestioning.

But I don't think I want to go yelling on the rooftops who I am, either. My identity has already been taken advantage of once.

"Then are you planning on answering anytime soon?" the boy prompts.

The girl shoots him a look, but I nod. "She thought she could get... information. From me. About N'veauvia."

"What's N'veauvia?" the girl asks, curiosity dancing in her eyes.

Mild surprise registers on my face. I thought everyone knew about N'veauvia. "It is the capital of Morineaux." I trail off, confusion lacing my words.

Her eyes brighten. "You're from Morineaux?"

The boy scowls. "You're off topic, Leavi."

I file her name away. "Yes," I answer. "I work in the castle." Since I help Agraund and do live in the castle, it's not quite a lie. I'm just not an important part of the Corps yet.

"So Veradeaux thought you could give up country secrets or something?" the boy clarifies.

"Something like that, yes."

"What do you mean?" Leavi asks.

"I am not as important as she thinks I am." My lips twitch upward. Also not a lie. "Thank you, by the way," I tell her. "For saving me." For keeping good on your promise.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the boy's expression sour. He likely assumes that I was purposely excluding him. Now, though, if I thank him as well, it'll sound patronizing. Knowing there's nothing I can do, I attempt to push up, but my arms give out. Leavi helps me into a more comfortable position.

I look up at her, panic shooting through me. "Did you get my cloak?"

"Yes," she assures. Simultaneously, the boy exclaims, "What is with the cloak?"

"It has... important things in it." Considering it contains the Book, powder, and other casting materials essential to me working any kind of magic, that's an understatement. But I shouldn't give away anything more about myself than necessary.

"Here." Leavi slips it off a coat hook and lays it across my lap.

Relief fills me, but worry immediately replaces it. "How long have I been here?"

"Thirty-two hours and seventeen minutes," the boy rattles off. "Which is about thirty hours too long. We need to be leaving soon."

Nerves jitter within me. I need to get back home. I cannot get caught by Amarris again.

There's a knock at the door. "Hello?" a woman calls. "Anyone in here?"

Panic floods across Leavi and the boy's faces. He shoves me down and flicks the blanket up. He slips under it, between me and the door, propped up on one elbow. I pull a pillow down over my face.

The handle turns. "Ah, there you are, Leavi," the woman says. "What is this trouble I heard of from wor—Oh!"