- Prologue -

Before the school year

I never liked coming back home to New York— if you could even call it my home anymore.

"I'm coming back for Thanksgiving." I always hated packing but today I'm going to college. After spending the summer in New York I'm ready to go back to Pullman. "You're not coming back sooner?" My step-mom, Leah pipes up from the kitchen table. "I literally spent the whole summer with you guys— don't worry I'll be back before you know it."

Sadly.

"I know but we'll miss you— having you around just makes everything seem happier." I hold back my laughter because no one has ever described having me around as 'everything seems happier.'

"Anyway, where's dad?" I'm sitting on the couch packing my carry-on while my dad's nowhere to be found. "His meeting ran late," Leah checks her phone, "he'll be here in ten minutes." It doesn't surprise me that his meetings run late— they always run late. "You'll have to FaceTime me so you can show off the apartment." I know she cares for me and I love her like a mom but sometimes I feel like I'm suffocating.

I hate coming back home— despite loving the city, I hate coming home.

"Remember not to get distracted by boys." I roll my eyes at the lecture that she has given before. Every time I leave Leah always gives me the lecture of "don't get distracted." She never necessarily tells me to stay away from boys but she does say not to get distracted by them.

"No boys!" I hear my dad shout, snapping both of our attentions to the front door. "How was your meeting?" My dad shrugs out of his jacket, hanging it up on the rack by the entrance.

"It went well. Are you packed?"

I zip up my carry-on with my suitcase at the side of me, "yep." I jump up, ready to leave.

I'm desperate to leave.

I've been in New York for way too long.

"One thing and then you can go." My dad knows I hate coming home so he understands why I want to go at the earliest chance I get. "One rule." He holds up a finger, "no boys." I groan at his request, especially after what Leah just said. "Especially football players, okay?" He comes up in front of me placing his hands on my shoulders.

"No football players." I never understood why he swore off football players— maybe it's because he knows that most of them are dicks? Despite myself loving football, I'm not a fan of the players. Let's just say 'past experiences.'