Chapter Six - The Hues of Red Silk Call Him Mad As Well As His Heart

13th of May 1776

Two girls stood awkwardly in the small area which the servants most often meet up to brief on daily tasks. The floor was made out of stone and rough walls surrounded them like a cell. It seemed as if the room was closing in on them each second. They were both silent and fiddling with their hands, waiting for anyone who may need their help. Trying desperately to leave the numbing surrounding they were encased in. Slowly breathing in the cold air that leaked through the wooden door a few paces away from them.

Y/N and Ella had been working in the palace for more than a week now, both of them starting to adjust to the routine they had been accustomed to ever since they had started working for Mr Seabury. Mundane as it was, Y/N was wary of Mr Seabury's words and stayed as passive and as invisible as possible. Trying to divert any attention that would come her or her cousin's way. It was safer but it was boring.

Going out of their way to find a job to do was out of the question because of this. They could only wait for someone who needed their help or hope that Mr Seabury would suddenly need their assistance. But for now, Y/N and her cousin waited. Ella's curious eyes wander if around the room and Y/N thinking to herself.

She and Ella hadn't exactly made much progress on her uncle's task, albeit a couple of loose documents and whispering among the other servants. But nothing that would be very useful to her uncle or General Washington. Y/N was still hopeful either way, she recalled Samuel telling her that he was going to have a meeting with George and his generals later tonight and that both her and Ella were to be present.

Y/N was confident that if she could keep attending these meetings then she and Ella could leave as soon as possible without having any suspicion attached to them. It was her plan to not only prove herself to her uncle but spite the King without actually endangering herself. Maybe it was the safer way, but Y/N couldn't afford to be risky, she had to be sure of every move as well as covering up anything that would lead people to suspect her or Ella. She had to use every moment to plan ahead and make sure that all of this could happen.

"Excuse me is anyone in here?" A voice echoed breaking the silence between Y/N and Ella.
Y/N turned her head to her cousin who was looking at her nervously as the sound of footsteps became louder and louder.
"Yes, two of us," Y/N responded as the person calling out to them walked into her sight.
It was a woman, around 30. She was taller than both Y/N and Ella, her ginger hair tied up in a loose ponytail behind her. Looking to her stomach, Y/N noticed a bump. The woman looked like she was a couple of months pregnant. Y/N on another glance of the woman's face recognised her face from the morning brief with the other servants.

She was Jane, one of the King's main servants. The lady continued to speak as Y/N made that conclusion.
"Oh, wonderful. I suppose you two aren't occupied at the moment?" Jane smiled, holding her stomach with her left hand which conveniently showed her ring.
"We were actually waiting for a job to do. My cousin and I would be happy to help. Whatever that is of course." Y/N explained.

Jane chuckled, "Oh, I remember you two. You're Y/N and Ella, the new servants for Mr Seabury. I'm very surprised that you were both able to become his servant straight away but it's nice to have some new faces around." She explained.
"Yes, we're quite happy with our job," Y/N responded.
Jane replied, "That's very good to hear."
"Besides that what do you need us to help with?" Y/N questioned.

"Well, I need you to help me arrange his Majesty's clothes. I've taken the dry clothes down and into baskets. I just need you both to help carry them since I'm unable to." Jane explained gesturing to her stomach.
Y/N and Ella nodded, "I see, well please take us to the baskets. We're more than happy to help." Y/N spoke, her voice echoing slightly against the stone floor.