Chapter 28

Iris pov*

« You are glowing cupcake »

"Really, well thank you" I replied to Evan with a large smile

"I am happy for you and glad my stupid best friend finally did something good" Evan added

"Hey don't call him stupid" I said with fake anger giving him a soft punch on the shoulder

"What will you harass me because of him now?! Me who thought you will always be by my side I am so disappointed with you Iris" He pouted

"Don't be I am just joking call him stupid or everything you want, you know you are my favourite" I said pinching his cheek

"I prefer this" Evan grinned but his face became serious when his eyes landed behind me.

When I turned around I saw Charlotte leaving the living room stealing glances at Evan. Adam's parents invited me for dinner because they wanted to officially welcome me in family like they said, and family means Charlotte too. Even If nothing will be the same as before between us but she is my partner's sister; they have a great relationship and bond so I can't ignore her infinitely. We discussed it with Adam and he cleared some points about this damn evening when she insulted me. We had a huge argument I just wanted to kill him at this moment because he was largely responsible of the mess back then...anyway it helped me to be less angry towards her that didn't mean I forget but at least I will try to be civil . I will do it for Adam, his parents and most important for me. I want to avoid every tension and just live in peace. Plus Charlotte regretted and sincerely apologised again and again so let's move on and Evan has to do the same.

I faced him and let out a deep breath when I saw his expressions. My heart ached for my dear friend. Even me I no longer feel any bitterness or anger towards Charlotte and in my opinion he must do the same.

"I think it's time to forget about the past and forgive" I said softly. He didn't reply and massaged his forehead like to relieve an immense pain.

"Give yourself and her another chance... She learned her lesson"

"You defend her?" He said curiously

"Look I know you may be surprised by my words but she regretted her actions sincerely and apologised many times and I want to forget all the bad things to start fresh and I really want you to do the same"

"She deeply disappointed me" Evan replied looking to the ground

"I understand but if she wasn't in love with you and crazy with jealousy she wouldn't have reacted that way. I am not trying to defend her but just to be in her shoes. Charlotte loves you Evan and so you... Don't lose your precious time and hers and forgive."

He kept silent so I put my hand in his shoulder and added

"I want my best friend to be happy and this will be impossible without Charlotte in your life. You think I don't know how depressed you are even if you did everything to mask it. You think I will be upset with you if you forgive her but trust me Evan what upset me the most is seeing you like this so go and conquer her, she's just waiting for that."

"I don't know if it's possible for us to be together... I mean from this day my view of her has changed"

"If Adam and I were able to do so everything is possible" I chuckled

"Without joking Evan go after her, she suffered enough. Both of you deserve happiness... In addition I always wanted to go on double date"

"Oh so that's your motive selfish woman" He gasped

"Me who thought you are concerned about my happiness when in fact you are just a devil manipulative" He added with fake anger

I laughed and give him a kiss on the cheek "I love you too" I said still laughing. In this precise moment I felt Adam's arms circled my waist from behind pulling me to his chest.

"Did I hear correctly... My woman saying the three words to another man" He said tightening his grip

I was going to answer when Evan spoke

"Well I am her favourite"

"Says who?" Adam said leaning his head

"Says her" Evan replied proudly pointing at me

Adam turned me to him "Is that true Miss Olsen" he asked narrowing his eyes at me

"Well... kind of... I mean he is my best friend" I rolled my eyes at him

"Oh stop it Adam you know already that everybody prefer me, you never had any chance next to me" Evan replied with a smirk

"Ah seriously who are you trying to convince your own self?"

"Stop it you two" I intervened

"But..." They were cut by Charlotte voice

"Dinner is ready"

We all turned to her and nodded. We made our way to the dining room where Mr and Mrs Clark were already seated. We had a great time; the food was delicious and Mrs Clark Melinda was charming as usual. Everyone enjoyed except Charlotte, who was eating her eyes on her plate and without making a sound; I felt bad for her so I elbowed Evan who was next to me beckoning him to do something. After a moment he cleared his throat and said.

"How are your studies Charlotte"

She was so surprised that she looked at him with wide eyes and mouth. I couldn't stop myself to let out a small chuckle. She regained her spirit seconds later and replied shyly

"Fine"

Every person present directed their gaze to Evan waiting for his next words. But he just said a plain Ok. I rolled my eyes internally. Exasperated I crushed his foot with my heel under the table. He choked because of the pain.

"Here some water" I said innocently giving him wtf look. He galred at me while gulping the glass in one go. I felt Adam eyes on me; I looked at him and almost melt under his gaze. He understood what I was trying to do and his looks were full of love and gratitude, I smiled at him and he mouthed "I love youso much".

We were in our own world that we didn't hear the conversation that started between Charlotte and Evan. We spent the rest of the evening with amazing desserts, drinks and laughter...

Adam and I returned to his penthouse leaving Evan still there. This night I felt so much peace because I was so happy not only for me but for beloved ones too.