Chapter 29

Months later

Andy and Robert were hard at work at their service.  Both were fulfilled with the direction his personal and professional life had taken.  As on a normal day at a station, the crew was called out to a fire, the only thing that wasn't in their plans is that Andy wouldn't feel well while he was there.  The boss wasn't invited, so Robert wasn't there.  Maybe he was the only one to notice that Andy wasn't feeling well at the moment.

From the time they lost the baby, Andy started treatment to find out what really caused the miscarriage, and if she ever wanted to try being a mother again, not risk the same thing happening.  There was a chance she was pregnant, but she didn't feel ready to try for a pregnancy right now.

As much as she and her husband wanted to be parents and continue the Herrera-Sullivan family, there was fear on their part.  What had happened to them had been very traumatizing.  A pain they learned to live with and maybe if it were to happen again, it would be more painful.  They weren't ready for this.

As soon as she got back to the station, she went straight to his office.  One thing they had learned over time was to let each other know what was happening or bothering them.  There was no secret in their relationship.  She walked in without even knocking on the door - "I need to talk to you, but I don't want you to raise expectations."

"Yes. What's up?"  -He noticed the restlessness in her attitudes.

"Today, on the call, I didn't feel well... I don't know what happened, but I want you to go to the Gray Sloan with me later, to check what happened and if..." -she wasn't sure if she really was mentioned the possibility of pregnancy to him, as it was an uncertain subject - "whether there is any chance of my being pregnant ... again."

Honestly... Robert was more scared than excited about the hypothesis- "let's go now."

-

Once there, it didn't take long for them to be seen, since a large part of the hospital already knew them.  In the office, while the obstetrician performed all the pre-procedure, Andy and Robert kept their hands intertwined.  They were too apprehensive to exchange any words.  As the doctor passed the ultrasound instrument over Andy's stomach, she and Robert kept their utmost attention on the monitor that she had just confirmed that it wasn't just a hypothesis… It was real.  What they didn't expect is that they would be awarded a double dose.  It seems that the universe somehow wanted to make up for what they had lost not so long ago.

It would be extremely hypocritical to say that the tears that flowed from their eyes were utterly joyful.  It was a mixture of mixed feelings.  Most of what they were feeling was fear.

--

Weeks passed and they were handling the news well.  They were happy to see their life taking the direction they wanted... The family they always dreamed of.

It was early morning when Andy woke up to Robert sleeping with his head resting on her chest.  Habit that both had and liked.  While he slept, she gently ran her hand over his head and thought how much he loved her.  That man was worth gold... - "I love you, Robert."  -what she didn't expect was to get an 'I love you' back, as she thought he was still sleeping, but he woke up just as she started to caress his bald head- "I thought I was sleeping."

"I was..." -he replied, looking up and meeting her eyes.  They lost themselves in each other's gauze for a few minutes until he decided to question her...- "what is it?"

"I'm thinking how lucky I am to have you with me."

"I think how lucky I am to have you with me, every day..."

With each passing day, they seemed stronger and more certain that they made the right choice to go up to the altar and from that moment live a long life and love each other every minute.  Like all other couples, there were their moments of disagreement, but nothing that couldn't be resolved with dialogue... they had become very good at dialogue.  That was another one of the things they learned, together..

And as the days, weeks, months... passed, the companionship, complicity and love, made them more firm.  And now, they were ready to live the 'forever' with the two gifts they received, increasing the family from two to four.

---//---

Thanks for your patience!!!
Until next time!🤎