Chapter 19

Another shift began with Andy and Robert avoiding each other as much as possible. Robert had reached his limit, he could no longer stand to be away from his wife for a divergence of opinion, about a serious matter, obviously, but a divergence. He decided to ask the only person who could put some sense into his wife's head for help. As soon as Andy arrived at the station, he was called to the chief's office.

"Would you like to speak to me, sir?" -That last word activated a very pleasant and untimely memory for Robert, who soon tried to sweep it to a corner of his mind.

"Yes, Herrera. Come in and close the door."

Andy walked in, closed the door, walked to the table, where he stood facing him- "What's the matter?" -Before Robert could answer, Pruitt came out of the bathroom of his room- "Dad? What are you doing here?" -Andy had no idea that conversation could completely change his life.

"I think we need to talk, Andrea."

"Talk about what?"

"About your pregnancy..."

"Did you tell him?" -Now she was looking at Robert, her eyebrows arched, waiting for an obvious answer.

"Andy...I had to do this."

"You didn't have to do anything! Can't you solve your problems yourself?" -answered her husband, before returning her attention to her father- "Whatever you have to tell me, father, I'm not interested!" -He left slamming the door.

Robert still spent some time talking to Pruitt hoping that Andy would come back and they could resolve that situation... but that didn't happen. The shift ended without any new calls and Andy was locked in her office, shutters closed and cell phone turned off. She knew that even if she didn't want to, she would have to listen to what her father had to say, but she was already tired of everyone telling her what to do with her own life, she was a grown woman who could make her own decisions on her own and no one would make her change her mind.

Andy waited for everyone to go home, to leave his room. She went to the locker room to change his uniform for conventional clothes. Pruitt, from a distance, saw her daughter go to the changing rooms, took advantage of the fact that no one would be there and went to talk to her. That would probably be the most appropriate time, as no one would hear them.

It was a sensitive subject that Andy would not suddenly change his mind. She has fears and doesn't want to have children for a million reasons...one of them involved the profession she and Robert had. Each call made by them, it was uncertain whether they would return home.

"Andrea."

"Dad..." -before she could object, he cut her off.

"Let me finish, Andrea." -Sometimes Pruitt was adamant, and this was one of the moments, so no chance of running away from it- "First of all, I wanted to ask you a question. Why don't you want to continue with the pregnancy?"

"Because... Because I never wanted to be a mother. I love my job, I love my life and my routine..." -Andy paused to think of what words to use that would best express his opinions- "You know, Dad. A son It would mess up my career. Not just mine, but Robert's as well. Even if he wants to, it's not something we'd handle well. Other than that our job is dangerous. What will become of this child? Orphan of father and mother from an early age?"

"I know that the early loss of your mother touched you a lot. I know you had to discover a lot of things for yourself and it was very difficult. I know how much you missed her and sometimes all you wanted was her lap, but Andrea, it's not because it happened to her that it will happen to you."

"But what if it happens, Dad?"

"If... You're not even giving it a chance. Of course a child would change your life, but it's for the better. My biggest gift was and is you and I think you'd thank you when you saw the fruit of your relationship with Robert ."