Chapter 11

Andy really was the best person to take over the station ever.  The fire commissioner came up with a huge list of equipment and entry methods that needed to be tested and that no other station had been available for that.  According to them, it was very dangerous, they needed a guarantee that it wouldn't affect any of their people.  Andy readily accepted the task of testing everything for all stations and even said he would go to each of them, show that there was no reason not to use the equipment.  By now, they were all gathered in the cafeteria, drinking coffee, after Andy had tried out a new ax that promised to open stuck doors with as little effort and time as possible.

“This thing is really going to come in handy.  I don't understand what people's fear is, they will test inside the station, there is no danger.”  - Andy said.  But the truth was, there wasn't much she was afraid of.

“We were face to face with a bear, Andy.  And you weren't afraid.  I think your definition of fear is different from the world." -Gibson said laughing.

"It's not about this.  It's about... keeping your cool.  Lives depend on us, we won't help if we continue with equipment that doesn't work and someone needs to test it.”

“It's hard to keep your cool with a bear that can eat you.” -Gibson always tried to change the air from a conversation to a joke.

Andy laughed at that comment as did everyone around the table.  Robert  kept watching every step she took.  She had just showered.  She looked amazing anyway, even in those huge sweatpants and her wet hair.  It was a vision he would like to see until the end of his days.  Amidst the side conversations they were having, Travis put a song on his cell phone and asked Andy to dance.  It was amazing the lightness and precision of the movements of that woman, it seemed to be very easy to do the same as her.  Travis could prove he wasn't, he was more lost than blind in gunfire.

"So you're the famous Andrea Herrera?"  -everyone stopped what they were doing and turned their attention to that man who seemed to know Andy very well- "I didn't expect to meet the most famous captain of the corporation that way."  -he was smiling too looking at her.

"I'm sorry, do we know each other?"  Andy asked in total confusion for not recognizing that face.

“I don't think you know me yet, you avoided this meeting for a long time, Captain Herrera.  You saved my life in that weapons factory.”  - said the man Andy had saved in that fire that cost her a lot and not just her.

"I wasn't avoiding anything, I was just recovering from what happened..."

"And I see you did it very well."

Andy didn't know if he understood very well that phrase accompanied by that smile- "Haven't you told me your name and why you came here?"

“My name is Matthew Casey, I'm captain of season 51. I hope not for too long.  I came to thank you for saving my life and to extend an invitation to you.”

"An invitation?  What invitation?"

“I want you to be captain of station 51. I've been hearing amazing things about you forever.  How I helped your father run this station, how each of you was shaped for amazing things.  Everyone here has an impressive future ahead of them.  I know you've just become captain of where you've always wanted to, but it's not every season that you get the opportunity to work with someone as amazing as you or anyone around here.  I'm leaving and needed to hand over my house to someone I really trust.  That day, even if I didn't survive, I wish 51 had someone like you..."

"Wow, Captain. Very tempting your proposal."  -Andy really found an incredible opportunity.

"Not as much as you."  -maybe he said it in a tone that Andy was not supposed to have heard.  Was he really flirting with her?