Chapter 2

N O V A

It was about to be the time to close the cafe.

11 P.M is the usual time we close everyday.

"Hey my shift is over, will you close the cafe for me and make sure this time the back doors are locked" she glared at me hoping I did the job right this time.

"Yes I promise and thank you about last time keeping it our secret" I smiled still focusing on my homework writing my essay standing behide the counter.

Sam put on her warm coat and wrapped her neck with her scarf.

"By the way I'm going to set you up on a blind date you need one"

"What? No!" I laughed at her invite.

"Have a goodnight!" She waved with a smirk on her face.

"Sam" I whined but she was already gone.

Dammit Sam. I thought to myself. I continued doing my english essay that was due tomorrow. Just as the front door bell rang open.

"I'm sorry but we'll be closing soon" I said not looking up to who might've come in.

"Sorry just wanted to clear my mind a bit, I'll be going then"

I looked up and it was that boy who ran off earlier.

Shawn.

"Wait!" I yelled out before he could leave. He turned around and his eyes were bloodshot. Was he crying?

"I mean we could stay open for a bit longer" I gave him a warmed friendly smiled.

He nodded and walked up to the bar stools sitting down.

"Want something to drink? Eat? Possibly a muffin?" I offered.

"No thank you but thanks for the offer"

"You know I heard somewhere muffins always cheer you up" I smiled trying to lighten the mood.

He looked up at me and smiled weakly.

"Then I'll have one" he asked.

I backed up and walked towards where the last few muffins were and grabbed one putting them on a plate and walked back to him and handed it to him.

"I know it shouldn't be none of my business but are you ok?" I asked concerned.

"Um no not really" he says moving his muffin around.

"Want to talk about it? I'm a great listener" I complement myself proudly.

He stayed quiet for a while.

"My girlfriend.." he started.

"Well now ex-girlfriend, she broke up with me last week and I just can't seem to get over it, she was my first love and everyone is just pushing me to get over her and it pisses me off.." he pauses taking a deep breathe. His hand folded together.

"Now I can't get her off my mind" he tried hard enough to fight the tears. I couldn't help but grab his hands together with mine and comfort him.

"I don't blame you" I sighed. He looked at our hands that were together.

Was he uncomfortable? He must be so I removed my hand and began to put some coffee pots in the wash room and cleaned the other side of the counter where Shawn wasn't sitting.

"So you from around here?" I began to start a conversation with him walking around and began putting the chairs up on some tables.

"No actually I'm on tour" he said helping me with the rest around.

"Tour?" He grabbed my attention.

"Yea I'm sort of a artist I guess you can say" he chuckled.

"Hmm what's your name?" I asked.
"Shawn Mendes" he smiled.

I looked down at the floor a bit embarrassed never hearing of him.

"I'm sorry I've never heard of you"
"It's fine it's actually better" he smiles cheekily.

Sam is right he is cute.

I checked the time on the wall.

11:04 P.M

I wiped my hands on my thighs and started to make my way to the locker room to get my things and shut off the lights. As I made sure everything's in place and it was. I put on my jacket and expected Shawn to be gone but he was waiting outside locking the doors.

"I didn't really expected you to wait for me, if you are?" I said putting my hoodie over my head not wanting to get wet.

"Let's just say your good company so far" he said putting his hand in his jeans pocket.

"How do you get home?" He asked.
"Well I usually take the bus but at times like this I walk" we began walking not knowing where we were going.

"Why do you work at this time?" He asked.
"I need the extra money and I'd like to go on an adventure to a place I know" I adjusted my bag.

"Show me?"
"Why not?" I smiled and I grabbed his hand and began to ran as the rain came in harder, he stumbled a bit but manage to hold himself and ran with me.

We stopped at my favorite bridge where you can see the city lights and the water beneath us. Luckily there was a surface above us to keep us from getting wet.

"Wow.." Was all Shawn could say.
"Right" I walked over to the fence and grabbed onto it.

"I come here all the time to just think.." I looked at the beautiful view in amazement.

As I was focused on the view that I never get bored of, I felt his eyes on me. I started to laugh a bit.

"What?" He asked smiling.
"I just met you a few minutes ago and now we're here at my favorite spot" I chuckled and took a seat at a near by bench placing my bag on my leg.

"Your still a stranger to me you know? You could be a murder or a rapist" I joked but at the same time hoped he wasn't.

"I'm not, just a normal sixteen year old making music well a little normal" he laughs slightly.

"Where are you from?" I asked as he leaned against the fence.

"Canada"

"Bieber land? Oh my god I love the Biebs" my eyes widen causing him to chuckle.

_________

Edited // Published April 6, 2015