Chapter 6 • Fair Day

A/n:
Just really quick: I'm so sorry this has taken so long! I'm not gonna give excuses cuz really it doesn't matter but I wanted to apologize. I made this chapter extra long for you all. I'll try my best to stay motivated for you all but I can't promise anything. On a more positive note thank you all for 1k views! It may not seem like a lot to some of you but I really appreciate it. Here's to many more (hopefully). Now without further ado. :)

It's nearly midnight and I can't sleep. I'm not sure why. It's not like I have anything to do, or anyone to talk to. Luz has school, so she's sleeping. Eda's probably passed out on the couch, again. And, King's talking to his army of stuffed animals in the room next to mine. I don't interrupt him from that anymore after he attacked me out of embarrassment once. If Hunter were here I'd definitely let him whisk me away, but alas, he's not.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've spent most of my time since seeing Hunter thinking about how I opened up. I can't help but cringe. I shouldn't have said anything, he probably thinks I'm weird now. Maybe that's what's keeping me up.

"Hey, can you stop mumbling to yourself?" King bursts into my room. I jump, just now realizing I had been thinking out loud, again. "Some of us are busy."

"Right...sorry." I watch him huff out of the room, closing my door harshly. "Ya fluff ball." I mumble out under my breath.

"I heard that!" He yells from down the hall. I giggle, knowing it annoys him when I give him cute pet names.

I lay back in my bed and stare up at the ceiling. I place my hands behind my head and get comfortable.

"What's wrong with me? Why do I feel so embarrassed about telling Hunter personal stuff?" I whisper to myself, keeping as quiet as possible. "Maybe it's cuz I don't talk about it?"

An unexpected knock on my window rips me from my thoughts. I sit up quickly and look to the origin of the sound. The golden devil himself is standing just outside my room, awaiting my arrival. I stand up and head to the window. I open the glass pane carefully.

"Hunter?" I ask quietly. "What are you doing here?" I lean my arms on the window frame.

"W-well..." His eyes dart away quickly, and he rubs the back of his neck. "It's been a little while since we hung out, and I'm off tomorrow, and...and-" His eyes wander back to me slowly. His words seem to get caught in his throat as he loses his train of thought. I tilt my head and quirk an eyebrow.

"You...okay?" I smile at his strange behavior fondly. He swallows hard and takes a deep breath.

"What I'm trying to say is: the carnival is gonna be in town tomorrow, and I was wondering if you'd wanna go with me? As just...a hangout sort of thing?" Hunter spits out quickly. My smile grows at how adorably awkward he's gotten

"So, like a date?" I smirk, waiting for his reaction.

"UM!" His face goes bright red as he begins to sputter hopelessly. "Th-that's...I-um...well I-I mean...you-"

"Of course, I'll go with you." I cut off his stuttering fit. His mouths snaps shut. He puts his fists on his hips and smiles awkwardly.

"Alright! Sounds good!" He shoots me a finger gun. I raise an eyebrow, amused. He looks down at his hand, as if someone else has control of his body. He quickly folds his arms behind his back, his face flushing a deeper shade of red. I giggle at his tense nature.

"I'll meet you there around noon?" I ask, trying to alleviate this weird tension.

"Yep! Yes, that sounds good." He begins walking backward to leave. He takes one step too far and slips off the roof.