Chapter 1 • Traumatic Beginnings

"What sort of life would it be if our kid can't do what they want?"

"Darling, you know the rules. And, please, keep your voice down." He outstretches his hand to help his wife down from the small wall.

"No!" She smacks his hand away. "I won't allow our child to be bound by these ridiculous rules, Corbin. I won't!" She blasts off a slew of different kinds of magic. Corbin's eyes grow wide at his wife's rash behavior.

"Keres!" Corbin screeches. He grabs his wife's wrist and pulls her from the wall. "Are you crazy!"

Before Keres could answer a guard looms over both of them and wisks them away.

The two lovers are thrown to the ground harshly. Quickly, they're forced into a kneel.

"Ah, Corbin and Keres. What a pleasure to see you two again," He leers down at the two. "What a shame you two have to be so troublesome."

"Please, Emperor! I didn't mean anything by it. I'm thinking and acting irrationally!" Keres exclaims desperately.

"I'm aware." He comments lowly.

"Please, Emperor. My wife, she's pregnant. The baby is making her act crazy." Corbin tries to reason with him.

"Is that so?" The Emperor asks while side eying the couple. The two nod quickly. "Unfortunately for you two, there are rules. And, you know the consequences." Emperor Belos raises his hand slowly.

"Please, sir!" Corbin yells. "She's pregnant! Please!"

Belos stops quickly. "Very well." He lays his hand to his side and shifts his view downward. "I will let you off with a warning, but seeing as you two have proven to be troublesome, I will have to ensure you won't enstill ill will into your child." He raises his hand again and casts a spell at Keres. She lets out a shriek of pain and clutches her stomach. Tears begin falling from her eyes.

"Keres!" Corbin yells out to his writhing wife as she curls into a ball on the sleek floor. He tries to reach out for her, but the guards hold him in his place as he watches with horror as his wife cries out in pain. "What did you do?" Corbin holds back his anger in fear of what else Emperor Belos may do to her.

"I simply put a curse on your child to contain it's magic until it has proven to be well behaved and useful." Belos answers honestly and turns around. He begins walking back to his throne. "I suggest you don't let something like this happen again."

• • •

"Y/n, darling, please. Just stand still for one minute while I get stuff for dinner tonight." Keres holds her daughter by the shoulders and looks into her eyes. "And no magic. Got it?" Her daughter's eyes wander off to follow a passing butterfly. She nods mindlessly. "I'm serious, Y/n!" Her mother urges. Y/n's head snaps back to her mother.

"Yes, Mama." Y/n agrees.

The two hold hands as they walk up to the produce stand. Keres requests her needed ingredients and fumbles for her wallet. She pays the merchant and turns to her daughter. Only then does she realize her child has disappeared from her side.

"Y/n?" Her mother looks around frantically. Her eyes quickly land on the small child stood by the water fountain. A few kids her age are stood in front of her.

"Watch what I can do!" Y/n boasts as she shoots off an array of different spells. Her mother's eyes grow wide as she dashes for her child.

"No, no, honey." Keres takes a firm hold on her daughter's hand. "What have I told you about using your magic in public?" Her eyes dart around frantically. A gaurd is seen a few stalls away eying the situation carefully.