Persephone

Persephone

Chapter 13

      The whispering outside the bedroom door was load enough for me to hear, as I lay in my sweat soaked bed. “Leave her to rest. She has had a difficult time, come back in a few days when she has her strength back”, that was Hades.

“It is an important message, sent by Zeus himself”, said the other voice, which I took to be Hermes. The whispers got lower until I could hear only muffled words. I sighed and closed my eyes, wishing for sleep. “Can I come in?”. The voice made me jump up alert. It was my daughter Macaria, who stood at the doorway, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you”.

“I just never heard the door open, that’s all, come in”, I told her, despite my tiredness I was really pleased to see her. She smiled at me and skipped in. “Are you well?”, Macaria asked me, but her eyes glanced over to the crib.

“I am. Just tired”, I assured her, “Who is out there?” I asked, nodding my head toward the door. “Father is talking with Hermes, he is insisting on talking with you, says it’s urgent. Father wont let him in until you’ve rested. Can I see him?”, she said, eyes still on the crib. “Of course you can”, I laughed. She went to the crib and slowly lifted out her new baby brother. “Have you named him?”

“Zagreus”. She mumbled something under her breath to him and kissed his cheek.

“He really is special”, she said adoringly.

“Macaria, can you let Hermes know that he may see me”. She nodded and passed the baby into my waiting arms. She quickly disappeared out of the room and Hermes entered, followed by Hades.

      “Persephone you look well”, Hermes complimented.

“Oh Hermes you lie. But your charms are a appreciated”, I joked.

“so this is him then?”, he smiled, “I have been ordered to deliver a message from Zeus, do you wish us to speak in private?”, he said as he threw a glance towards Hades, how shuffled uncomfortably. His eyes wouldn’t lift from his feet. “No Hermes, you can speak in front of my husband.”, I told him as I shot a smile at Hades, who smiled back apprehensively back at me. “Very well then”, he cleared his throat before continuing, “Zeus first of all sends his thanks and his blessings that you have delivered him a healthy son. It was his wish, as you well know already, that he become Zeus’ heir, as such, he has to be taken to Mount Olympus, where he shall sit with his father on the throne”. I could feel the eyes of both men on me. Waiting for a reaction that did not come. The room fell deathly silent and Hades gently placed his hand on my leg. I looked at him, his lips were moving but I could here no words. The hot sting of tears was starting to burn my eyes. “He wants to take a son from me again”, I managed to choke out.

“Persephone. I’m so sorry, for everything. This is my fault. If I had been the husband I should have been none of this would have happened. I’m so sorry”, His hand had clenched around the blanket that covered my leg. Looking at him now, with tear-filled eyes, I saw the regret, the guilt, and the love he still held for me. In that moment everything else faded away and it was just him and I. “Whatever I can do to make you happy again, I will do. If you wish this child to be with you forever, I will support you and I will be the boys father, even if that means starting a war of the Gods. I won’t ever cause you pain again, my sweet Persephone”, he declared. By now we were both crying and I felt my baby stir in my arms. The movement brought the rest of the world back into focus.

      Zagreus opened his sky blue eyes and looked up at me, looking so much like his father it was startling. “He doesn’t belong down here. I can see the light behind his eyes. He was born to be up there with him”. I brought Zagreus up to my lips and kissed him softly on the head. I looked up to Hermes, who had moved silently towards the door, obviously uncomfortable with witnessing this moment between me and my husband. “How long do I have?” I asked him.

“He asked that you bring the boy as soon as you recover”, he answered quietly. I nodded and looked back to my child. “Are you sure this is what you want?”, asked Hades. I tried to smile through my tears at him, “it’s not what I want, but it’s what is best for Zagreus. And when the time comes that he take over from his father, he will thank me for letting him go”.