chapter 27

Rose blinked in confusion and a stinging feeling of hurt, ''What?'' but when her answer was his impassive face without a single trace of emotion, she understood it all, how bloody much she told herself to not jump into conclusions and for once get answers

What a bloody fool.

Could she really think an earl who lived his life by work would not see her as one? Work

She was a piece of work, and all he wanted was an heir. Just like the agreement said. But why did she feel like he decided her, like he ripped her heart apart when there were no commitments? Nothing, yet it felt like everything.

Rose regained her emotions in place when it felt like she was breathing through a straw, ''I see'' she said with the same tone he gave her, cold and emotionless. Nicholas jaw ticked if only she knew, if only she bloody knew how much he chewed and hesitated on taking that decision, but he couldn't go on with his life letting a woman destroy him like she did, ''The agreement, right if only you could've notified me being already divorced'' she continued, and the single control Nicholas had vanished as his temper got the best off him

''Do not dare! You will not play a victim, not by long shot! I never knew what it felt like to be notified by only a letter on my wife's whereabouts---'' he stopped with a mocking scoff, ''Oh wait I do, so forgive me if you suddenly come back and play me the fool''

Rose felt a sudden pain through her stomach but she suppressed it and bit her lip, Nicholas was in anger to even watch her as he ran his hands through his hair frustrated and the fever seemed to not get better, ''I'm sorry,'' her soft voice was so low that he thought he imagined it as she continued, ''I- don't expect you to understand when I don't even know myself anymore,'' she chuckled sardonically before taking a deep breath, ''But I don't regret it, none of it. I meant what I said in that letter, doing it in a different way might've not end us here but I couldn't—I can't sit and wait, I have a life as much as you and I wasn't honest, I'm sorry---'' Nicholas cut her off rudely, ''Do not pity me, you made your point and chose freedom,''

''I thought I chose freedom, but I did not have it for one second, I did not—I couldn't stop feeling guilty about everything, it was like something was missing in my life, I thought that feeling was temporarily---'' she was cut off as Nicholas couldn't take it, he couldn't take how she sounded so sincere even when he tried to find a bloody lie in her words, ''don't,'' he whispered barely his throat closing up.

Rose felt like a chance was there as she continued impatiently, ''God how wrong I was, even if I'm the first one to feel like this, even if I'm the only one to feel this miserable I don't care, I know that I love you'' when she said those words it felt like a weight was picked from her shoulders, she could breath, god how cheesy her old self would've thought of this moment she could laugh.

But Rose did not care, she meant it, she loved this man.

Nicholas was quiet that it seemed he did not even hear her as he met her blue eyes, one two three seconds and rose thought she would die, before he cut the silence in the room with a scoff that burned her ears, ''I- I really should give you a trophy, not only are you lying straight to my face but you have the audacity to come back as nothing—nothing Is wrong,'' he snarled before continuing '' I want you as far as possible away from me, I want you out of my house, out of my life, out of me, I don't bloody care where you go'' He bellowed out as his veins popped out and his temper got the best out of him, drinking for days have led him into a beast. He never had felt a mad like this.

He did not stop there, ''God knows which men you fooled like this, and to think I even was unaware of your cunning and had I known who you were I would've never let that bloody agreemen---''