17: Something... Dark

Start from the beginning

Can't wait to see the final masterpiece! Wei Wuxian grinned. Maybe we could play it together!

Suddenly, he skidded to a halt. Stopping in his tracks at the feeling of something familiar approaching him, he narrowed his eyes and looked around. The something was something he knew. Something he was familiar with...

But embedded into it was something he sensed as a threat. Something deep, something... dark.

Divergence? But what's with the darkness?

He looked around him but saw nobody. When he spun back to face the front, he crashed right into a short and smiling man.

"Oh, sorry!" Wei Wuxian exclaimed.

"Sorry, sorry, I'm really sorry!" The man smiled apologetically, dimples sinking into his round cheeks, as he inclined his head repeatedly. 

"It's fine, really. Neither of us are hurt. Are you alright? Sorry if I hurt you," Wei Wuxian held him by the arms before he almost tripped over out of the shock.

"Oh yes, yes, absolutely fine, thank you," he nodded and stood upright, brushing down his robes. He looked up at Wei Wuxian and smiled brightly again. "Black robes, red hair ribbon, smiling eyes. You must be Er-Ge's brother-in-law? Wei Gongzi?"

"Why yes!" Wei Wuxian nodded. "And you are?" He wondered who would be calling Lan Xichen Er-Ge other than Nie Huaisang...

"Jin Guangyao."

Ah, so this is the infamous Meng Yao? The poor fellow who was kicked away by the whole world for being a prostitute's son? Taken into the Nie sect by Chifeng-Zun? Right. Another guy like me, afflicted because of his parents' identity.

"Delighted to meet you, Jin Gongzi."

"And me, you, Wei Gongzi."

"You know Xichen-ge?"

"Erm, he's a friend. Through A-Sang."

"Oh right, you stay with Nie-xiong, don't you? Trusted pal?"

Jin Guangyao nodded.

"I see. Jin Gongzi came to meet Xichen-ge?"

"Yes. I've met him."

"Oh, then... safe journey home!" Wei Wuxian bowed to him.

"Take care, Wei Gongzi. And I hope we meet again," Jin Guangyao smiled and walked out the gates.

I have no grudge with you, Meng Yao. But something tells me you're going to be a pain-in-the-behind for my brother... We'll see.

And that feeling...

I can sense Divergence in others, just that Lan Zhan hid himself too well. And this guy... putting aside the darkness in him for the moment... it must be because of his past... but that familiar feeling of the core...

Meng Yao... is a Divergent?

**********

"Wanyin... feel any better after this?"

"Mn, quite a bit, actually."

"Haaa, glad to hear," Lan Xichen sighed, placing his flute on the table, ending the melodious session. "Calm and cool? Not angered and rushed?"

"Hmm."

"Good. So hereafter, you can practise Zidian with your mother's help. And Madam Yu can allow you to come visit me once a week. We'll do this music-listening to calm your core, yes? Can't have Zidian's lightning making your core spit sparks too."