Chapter Eight

- Present: Wandavision - Bucky Pov - Back at Base - 

"What's the first thing you do remember?" 

"That she's crazy."

"I need a little more than that Sargent." 

"Pain. And then, Wanda's voice in my head." Bucky replies to Hayward as he sits on the hospital bed or more like a metal tray... flashbacks to Hydra start to emerge and he tries to brush them away. 

"Did you try to resist?" Bucky looks up giving Hayward algae.

"Obviously, we both did, but there was this feeling keeping us down." He paused sighing "this hopeless feeling. Like drowning. I've felt it before, It was grief." Hayward nods... but the outfit in analysis, I'll be back and he heads through the door making room for Jimmy and Darcy.

"Mighty glad to have you back, Sargent. How you feeling?" Jimmy edges in slowly.

"Like myself." Bucky stands calibrating his arm, a stern look on his face. 

 "Well, thank heavens for that." Jimmy laughs awkwardly seeing the look on the solider's face.

 "Uh, what's the latest? Any word on Y/N?" Bucky frowns looking up as Darcy hands him some fresh clothes. 

"There's a briefing in ten. Pants are encouraged." 

"Thanks" He looks down at his hospital gown. 

" We're gonna need to take these again. There's something wrong with the machine." The doctor comes back over.

"Those are blank." Darcy states for Bucky's benefit as he's sat on the wrong side, she stares at the brain scan. 

 "Like I said."

"Well, what about his labs?"

"I need another blood draw."

"No. We're done here." Bucky says gruffly as he stands up heading towards the curtains to change, the doctor looks confused. 

"He does that..." Jimmy explains "See you at the briefing!" He shouts as Bucky pulls the curtains across. 

 . . . 

"Morning. We are now assessing a more clear picture of this crisis. And thanks to Sargent Barnes, we now have first-person intel from inside the Westview Anomaly. Our initial theory had Wanda Maximoff as one of many victims. We now know she is the principal victimiser. " Bucky clenches his fists at Haywards words, she wasn't a villain she was hurt... and he knew if he'd had her powers, the temptation to somehow bring you back while he though you dead would have been overwhelming.Jimmy brings Bucky back to his senses as he addresses the room. 

"Quick history on our subject. Born in Sokovia in 1989 to Irina and Oleg Maximoff, both killed during an air raid when Maximoff and her twin brother, Pietro, were ten."

"The twins were subsequently radicalized, volunteering at HYDRA." Haywood chimes in, much to Jimmy's annoyance.

"It's an oversimplification of events, but, yes. After unspecified experimentation with the Mind Stone, Maximoff gained telekinetic and telepathic abilities." Jimmy continues, defending Wanda from this image Hayward is trying to portray. 

"Back up, Jimmy. Does Maximoff have an alias?"

"No, sir."

"No funny nickname?"

"Not a one."

"And earliest tracking had her using her powers against the Avengers. Is that correct?"