Chapter 42

Specs was woken up just before midnight struck by Jack shaking him lightly.

Romeo was standing beside Jack and helping him wake Specs up too.

Specs did wake up multiple times but based on how late it was he just kept falling back asleep against his will.

When he finally did wake up enough to know what was going on he saw all the Newsies standing around and talking excitedly amongst each other.

He looked up at Jack in confusion as to why they were all up this late, especially considering the next day was a Monday.

"It's nearly midnight so we're all doing the countdown together," he explained pointing to the rest of the Newsies.

Specs nodded and stood up from the chair.

He walked over to Romeo and pulled him into a hug. "I expect you to cuddle me after this," he whispered.

Romeo pulled away and nodded happily, he didn't even think cuddles were a negotiable thing, especially with Specs considering how he was quite clingy.

They both walked over to the rest of the Newsies hand in hand.

They were all buzzing with excitement and Romeo and Specs couldn't help but join in on their excitement too.

As they neared the countdown all of them went outside to look out at the nearest church spire to see the clock turn to midnight.

Specs frowned when he realised that the church was none other than the one he had almost been married in not even a day earlier.

"Romeo, what if he comes back again?" he asked with fear very clear in his voice.

"He won't, I promise you. I won't let him and neither will anyone else. We're your family and it was so sad without you around." Specs looked at him and saw tears starting to form in his eyes. "But I don't think you'll be allowed to sell alone any time soon."

Specs groaned and dropped his forehead onto Romeo's shoulder. "Only if I can sell with you," he said.

Romeo nodded and they agreed to sell together until Jack would let him sell on his own again.

They were cut off from their conversation by the Newsies starting to count down from ten.

Ten

Specs looked at Romeo and grabbed both his hands in his.

Nine

Romeo smiled and pulled him into a quick hug.

Eight

"I really missed you," Specs said. "I thought about you every day."

Seven

"I'm sorry that ever happened, it was all my fault." Specs went to argue but Romeo cut him off. "I was being dramatic and left you alone."

Six

"I shouldn't have called you names. You're not dramatic and I shouldn't have said that," Specs pointed out.

Five

"How about we agree that it's both our faults and put it behind us?" Romeo suggested.

Four

Specs nodded. "I think that's the best idea you've ever had."

Three

"I love you," Romeo whispered.

Two

"I love you too," Specs replied.

One

When the church bells started tolling to signal it was midnight Specs put his hands on Romeo's shoulders and looked into his eyes.

"May I?" he asked.

Romeo nodded and wrapped his arms around Specs waist.

Specs leaned down and kissed Romeo gently on the lips.

They pulled apart after a few seconds before Romeo pulled Specs down and kissed him again.

~~~
559 words