Chapter 15

It took a few weeks but Romeo eventually recovered entirely and had to go back to sleeping in his own bunk.

He would still sometimes sneak down in the middle of the night to be with Specs.

Their favourite day in the week was Sundays. They didn't have to work and they could be free to do anything they wished.

The pair used this to their advantage, whether it be so they could just have some alone time to talk or so they could go on dates.

One particular Sunday, Romeo decided to drag Specs out of bed in the very early hours in the morning.

Specs was very surprised, the fact that Romeo was awake before noon on a Sunday being the main reason. He was also surprised that it was a Sunday(he thought it was a Saturday).

Once he had gotten dresses and Romeo dragged him out the front door as quietly as they could, not without leaving a note so the Newsies didn't think they went missing.

Romeo dragged Specs by his hand to a building not too far away from the lodging house but still not too close.

He brought him up to the roof where Specs was surprised to find a blanket and basket placed down and the floor.

"What's this?" he asked once he'd taken it all in.

"We've never been on a proper date and can't have any in public since it's illegal so I thought that we could have our first date today and watch the sunrise," Romeo explained.

Specs smiled and grabbed Romeo's hand before pulling him over to the blanket and sitting Romeo on his lap. He wrapped his arms around his waist and put his head on Romeo's shoulder.

"I can sit on the blanket myself, I don't need to sit on your lap," he complained trying to wriggle off of Specs' lap. "I know that you want a piece of this but at least let me sit."

Specs blushed but continued on like Romeo hadn't said anything, not wanting Romeo to trade him for it.

"I know you can but it's getting colder and I don't want you to get sick so stay here and I'll keep you warm," Specs said, pressing a soft kiss to Romeo's cheek.

"I'll allow it this once but if you want me that bad you can just say," he joked with a wink.

Specs blushed and buried his head into Romeo's neck.

Romeo squirmed at the breath on his neck.

"Please stop flirting with me or else I will tickle you since I now know you're weakness," Specs laughed.

Romeo rolled his eyes but stopped nonetheless. He reached over to the basket and pulled out two small bread rolls with an assortment of different fillings on them.

The couple stayed there for the rest of the morning, eating and laughing.

Half way through they moved from sitting to lying. Romeo had his head on Specs' chest and one of his hands intertwined with Specs'.

Specs had one of his hands in Romeo's hair and the other intertwined with Romeo's.

They watched the sunset together, Romeo would comment on how it's beauty was nowhere near that of Specs. Specs would tell Romeo to stop flirting since it was too early.

Once it reached the afternoon they started to walk back to the lodging house hand in hand.

They were nearly there when they heard most of the Newsies voices up ahead.

Not wanting their date to end just yet, Romeo pulled Specs into the nearest alleyway.

~~~
596 words