Chapter 40

Specs stood on the altar with his hands in his about to be wife's hands.

He didn't want to look her in the eye so instead looked at the bridge of her nose.

To those looking at them from even a small distance it wouldn't look any different to looking her in the eyes.

The priest was babbling on about true love and an eternal bond and all that boring, fake, soppy stuff.

He heard what sounded like some people arguing outside the church but didn't want to look in case he got distracted by whatever it was.

For all he knew it could have nothing to do with the wedding and he was just looking for an excuse to get away from the ceremony.

The priest was starting to go into the vows but had to the 'does anyone object' thing.

Specs waited for the awkward silence to end.

The priest was about to continue but was cut off by the door banging open.

Specs tore his eyes from her nose to see what was happening.

He broke out into a smile - a real smile - when he saw who it was.

"Samuel," his father hissed at him from his seat at the front. "Don't you dare."

Specs looked at him and gave him the best glare he could muster.

"I'm not your son and I'm not listening to you ever again," he announced before started to make his way off the altar.

His father grabbed his wrist. "I told you that they are liars. I am your father and your family."

Specs turned his head to look at the man one last time. "No you're not. Don't talk to me ever again or else you'll regret it."

He yanked his arm away and set off down the aisle in the direction of the doors.

"Romeo," he shouted as he neared the doors.

"Specs," Romeo shouted in reply as he too took off to meet Specs halfway.

When they met in the middle the crashed into each other in a tight hug.

"I missed you so much," Specs whispered into his shoulder.

Romeo tightened his grip on Specs even more. "I missed you so much too."

They stayed there for what either boy could have swore felt like an eternity before they were tapped on their shoulders.

"We have to go now," Jack said, pointing towards the very angry people who were starting to make their way towards them.

Both boys nodded before intertwining their hands and setting off down the aisle towards the door.

When they stepped outside, Specs was met by all the Newsies, even Spot who he suspected Race dragged along, waiting for them.

All the Newsies ran up to them and pulled them all into a group hug.

Specs smiled at the warm feeling inside he hadn't felt since he had last seen the Newsies.

He didn't mean to or even know why but he started crying.

The Newsies all pulled away thinking they had done something to upset him.

Romeo took both his hands in his. "What's wrong?" Romeo asked his softly.

"I'm sorry. I'm just really happy. I missed you all so much," he explained.

Romeo smiled and pulled him into another hug.

They stayed like that for a few minutes before they pulled away.

Specs smiled before Romeo started pulling him in the direction of the Lodging House.

"Let's go home."

~~~
570 words