Chapter 26

Specs struggled to get away from the man's firm grip around him.

"Your not my father, he died in the war," Specs defended, still trying to escape.

He knew that it was a lie but some part of him refused to believe that his father didn't want to stay with him and his mother and that if he believed that he died in the war, than maybe, just maybe, it may come true.

"Don't be stupid, the war ended long before you could have been born. He didn't die," the man said slowly, like he was talking to a small child.

"How would you know? You didn't know him and you don't know me," Specs shouted, still trying to attract any sort of attention towards the man.

Specs looked around and realised that he had been dragged much farther than he'd realised.

He didn't recognise where he was but he knew that he was still in the city, if he was still in Manhattan was a whole other question that he did not want to face.

The man started to bring him into a house, it wasn't very fancy but it wasn't rundown.

Just what he'd expect of an upper working class home.

He was pulled out of his thoughts by the sound of the front door opening and the man struggling to pull him up the few steps.

"I do know you father boy, I am him," the man hissed as he slammed the door shut. "And I swear that I just want to know my son."

Specs blinked and took a moment to process what his father had said. "Why is it only now that you came to talk to me then?"

The man shook his head and chuckled before walking over to Specs with his arms out for a hug.

As he neared him, Specs ducked under the arms and walked towards the door.

"I truly do care for you, I promise, I was just trying to find the right way to talk to you and-" he explained before Specs cut him off.

"So you kidnapped me. That's wrong and not only is it wrong but it's also illegal, you could be arrested," Specs pointed out.

The man grinned an evil grin and turned the lock on the door. "It's not kidnapping if it's my own child and who would they believe? Me or you. So stop being so dramatic and just let me get to know you," the man said.

He walked over to Specs and held his hands in his. "I promise that I will always be here for you no matter what."

Specs was confused by the mixed signals he was getting from the man but nodded nonetheless.

"That's nice but I have to get back now so goodbye," Specs explained as he started towards the door.

"I don't think you understand," the man laughed. "You live here now, you will do what I say and you won't leave this house unless you are with me for the entire trip. Am I understood?"

Specs nodded and walked towards the the stairs that he presumed lead to the rooms.

The man trailed after him and kept a close watch over Specs as he looked around the upstairs.

"This is where you will sleep. The window needs a key to open the which I have so you can't try escape." Specs turned to look into the room that was supposedly his.

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't spectacular, a bed pushed against the far wall with a small chest of drawers beside it and a bookshelf with a scarce amount of books on it.

"There's some books to keep you entertained. The door will be locked at night and I will open it in the morning," he explained. "Or whenever," he added as an afterthought.

A million questions fought for precedence in Specs head but before he got the chance to ask any of them the door was slammed in his face.

He tried to push against it but when he heard the clicking of the lock he knew it was pointless.

Specs walked over to the bed and lay down, not planning to fall asleep but his exhaustion had other plans and he drifted asleep quite quickly.

~~~
714 words