31 - Shaun

Shaun booked two tickets to SeaTac. The best she could find had a two-hour lay-over in Chicago. Traveling on a commercial airline with Tansy turned out to be very stressful. Maybe she should have asked Jimmy, but she felt the need to get out of town without interference. She waited until Monday morning to announce they were leaving. The car arrived not long after, so she didn't need to listen to Stella's disapproval.

Was she running away? Yes, but she didn't know why? Was it the humiliation of trying to kiss Josh? Was it his rejection of her? The tension in the car after the embarrassing moment was thick. Still, she was tired of being mortified by men. Eliot had strung things out long enough. She wanted closure and freedom from his hold on her.

It was nearly midnight when they reached her tiny home. After traveling for thirteen hours, Tansy was finally asleep. Shaun carried her inside while the driver left their luggage just inside the door. She had paid for everything with her own credit card. She would figure out how to pay the bill later, one problem at a time.

On Tuesday morning, Tansy woke early. At least she remembered the house. She cried for Gran and Stella. Shaun sighed, knowing each day it would get easier.

At six that afternoon, she had the teenager from across the street come to stay with Tansy. Shaun dressed up, because it made her feel bolder to look professional. Her skirt was too loose and hung longer than she would prefer. She thought about using a safety pin, but it would make a pleat in the straight style.

She had been to Courtney's house several times. Occasionally alone for a girls' gathering, but also with Eliot for parties. It was small, but in a far more expensive part of town.

Her hand shook as she reached for the doorbell. She wanted to catch Eliot alone. The museum had wine socials on Tuesdays to entice visitors, so she hoped Courtney was still at work.

"Shaun. What are you doing here?" He looked down at her body.

She recoiled as his eyes lost the sparkle they once had when he looked at her. "Can we talk?"

Eliot nodded and stepped aside. He was dressed in shorts and a tee shirt and had either changed out of work clothes or not worked at all. She tried not to take in his good looks and physique. He had been hers, but he had replaced her and tossed aside their memories. Did he really never love her? She couldn't ask, because the answer was too painful and humiliating.

"I'm tired of your games. You dragged me back to save your lover's job." She considered whore or slut but stopped herself. "I arrived on your arbitrary deadline, and you have not lived up to your side of the bargain. Tansy is suffering."

He threw up his hands. "Stop nagging? What do you want from me?"

She stared at him. "I want you to fight for your daughter."

He shook his head. "You made sure she was only your daughter. She hates me."

"She hardly remembers you. We've been back for weeks, and you never asked to see her."

He ran his fingers through his hair. It looked slightly thinner. "You kept her away for months."

"I didn't intend to. You... you broke me. You broke our family. You lied and said I left you. You could have stayed or I would have come home in a few weeks. But you..."

"I've never been happier."

Shaun put her hand over her mouth to stop from gasping. Twist the knife deeper.

She stood firm. "Do you want to see Tansy and how often?"

"Not every Sunday. We sleep in and grab brunch."