Chapter 27

From the very first time Bright stepped in front of a camera, he felt like he belonged there. Something inside him unlocked - a force of passion and ambition that he didn't know he had in him.

While his meteoric rise surprised the humble Bright, those around him had always known he was meant for the extraordinary. The mind of an academic, the athleticism of an Olympian, and a face that could start a war - when the gods were showering gifts on humanity, Bright had obviously cast the biggest net.

And unlike others who claim to hate the trappings of celebrity, Bright embraced all aspects of it, even the thankless hours and the constant limelight. This was because he was grateful - how often was one lucky enough to find what they love and actually have it provide a thousand fold? Celebrity enabled him to pamper his mother, who had toiled for him as a child. It gave the both of them access to travel, luxury, and comfort. It seemed like a fair exchange for time and privacy.

But today, just today, he hated how famous he was. Hated that there were at least five cameras trained on him at all times.

True to his word, Saetang kept Bright and Win busy and apart for two whole weeks and this was the first time Bright was able to see Win in the flesh since sending him that voice message.

It didn't matter how many Facetime calls they've had or how many selfies they'd shared - Win in person was an incomparable sight.

In fact, the only times Bright felt eyes ever leave him is when Win enters a room. Who could blame them?

He wanted more than just to look. He needed to touch. Run fingers through that soft hair, sweep knuckles down that infuriatingly chiseled jaw, bury his nose in that neck and breathe him in - but he cannot. Not with a crew of twenty and representatives from Vogue Korea on site.

Bright strides into the light and for a brief moment his eyes meet with Win's, he bites down his smile, his heart shaped lips forming a smirk.

He takes a seat on the couch and Win sits right next to him. They both stare straight ahead, a practiced detachment they had for every shoot. But once the lights are all on and the mics are in place and the director shouts action, the two come alive - Thailand's favorite best friends.

- - -
Saetang is an NYU MBA graduate. He was supposed to pursue a doctorate but a summer with his uncle in his native Bangkok introduced him to the world of show business and he had never been able to pry himself away from it.

He worked his way from PA to manager. Bright was his first client followed by Win. Now, he was managing director at the network with ten artists directly under his care. His soft spot though, will always be for the two men currently being interviewed.

Saetang gave the air of being easily flustered and bumbling. He did that on purpose. He knew just what to do to earn a laugh. Or what data to drone on about to get someone bored. This made people forget just how whip-smart he was, how keen he was with details. He had a Saetang Sense. And these two handsome men in front of him were making it tingle.

Saetang worked double time,  making sure to sweet talk the director into cutting away when he saw Bright's knee press too close to Win's. He convinced the floor manager to announce a two minute break every time Win's eyes lingered too long on Bright's mouth. There was nothing he could do about Bright's gaze as it seems that man has thoroughly forgotten where the cameras were located. He swears under his breath when he sees the two men's little fingers almost intertwine.

Saetang takes a swig of his water, wishing it was something stronger. At least 7% proof.
- - -

"Daisy Mae will drive Win," Saeatang said with a fixed smile, aware that there were still clients and stylists milling about the parking lot. "And I will drive for you."

"No, Win brought a car. I am riding with him," Bright says as he smoothes his plain white shirt.

"You don't like driving with Win. You can't stand him," Saeatang hisses, still smiling.

"That's not true," Bright says, now fixing his cap and looking for his sunglasses.

"We used to argue every time you had any work involving him."

"We worked through our differences," Bright says, still without emotion.

Saetang is about to say something else but Win pulls up in his Mercedes, rolls down his window and gives Bright a look.
Without another word, Bright waves to Saetang and walks towards the car.

Saetang knew he was in trouble because try as Bright may hide it, it was plain as day that he was trying to swallow down a radiant smile.

"Oh crap," he says.