chapter 28 | investors

JASMIN MARTINEZ

.•°•.•°•.•°•.

I pulled out a piece of paper from my purse and wrote my number. At the bottom, I put a dash with my name.

I went to the kitchen and filled a glass of water. I went back to his room and put the paper underneath the glass of water.

I picked up my purse and phone and softly closed the door. I heard the front door open up and made my way towards the door. Connor entered with two big bags of food.

"He's asleep," I informed.

"Thank you." He put the bags of food on the coffee table.

He looked back at me, raising an eyebrow in question, "How long do you plan on being mad at me?" I blurted.

Yeah, just go straight to the point. Fucking dumbass.

"Mad?" He questioned.

"Nah." I rolled my eyes. "I was just wondering how one could be so happy."

"It's not hard, yo—" I cut him off by going closer to him and wrapping my arms around his torso.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled into his chest. "I'm sorry I didn't keep in contact with you. I just wanted to be alone. I needed to be alone. If I were to have you by my side, I wouldn't have been able to move on. I would constantly see the vivid picture of them together in my head. I know I shouldn't have pushed you away but at that time that was the only right thing I thought was to do."

He didn't reply. After a while, I felt his arms go around my waist.

"I understand." He spoke ever so quietly.

I lifted my head off his chest to look up at his blue irises, "A lot happened that day. Yes, it was a selfish decision but it was a decision that I needed to take."

"I know, and I'm so fucking sorry for what you went through. But, I swear to god if he had another choice he would've taken it immediately. Heck, I would've done the same thing for my sister or you. I do wish everything didn't go so wrong."

"It was for the best. It wasn't meant to be." I faintly smiled.

"Yes, it is. Mark my words." He put his hand over my shoulder moved to the side of me to show point towards the window displaying the beautiful sky. "They always have a plan. What's meant to be will always be." He said referring to the stars glistening in the sky.

I couldn't let my heart have control over my words right now. I needed to think logically. I have to use Connor to get to Chase. As much as I hate to do this I have to. "Maybe."

He looked down at me and smiled, "Give it one chance."

"Okay." I breathed.

I only agreed because of the bounty. I wouldn't have agreed otherwise. I won't allow myself to go down the path that can cause me more pain than I can even describe or comprehend.

He hugged me again and I hugged him back. Although agreeing with Connor was a part of the plan, apologizing to him wasn't. I did that from my heart and I hope he knows that.