Past

"What is this?" Trevor looks around the dining table, "is there a reason we're here without Silas?"

"Yes," Joshua answers, "thanks again for letting us meet here Helen," he turns to Silas' mom.

"What's going on honey?"

Joshua nervously starts, "well you both are the most important people in Silas' life, and I just wouldn't feel right doing this without coming to you both first."

"Is Silas in trouble?" Trevor quickly asks

"No—"

"Ok, then what is this? You're being weird"

"Let him speak Trevor," Helen says to him shutting him up, they both turn back to Joshua who's sitting at the head of the table trying his best to tell them his news.

"Anyway, I asked you both here because next week is Silas and I's anniversary and I want to ask him to marry me." Helen immediately gasps at the news and Trevor is practically frozen

As Joshua continues talking a memory from their childhood replays in Trevor's mind,

They're 17, everything's happened and they were friends again. Trevor and Paris are going strong and Silas is still reeling but this time he's learned his lesson, no more confessing if he's meant to take his feelings to the grave then so be it.

It's a Saturday afternoon both Silas and Trevor are glued to Silas' couch too lazy to do anything but watch cartoons, Trevor is going on about his relationship with Paris to the last person who wants to hear it. Silas has to be a good friend but deep down he couldn't give a shit, and there wasn't much he could do but be stuck between his best friend and the girl next door.

"Seriously dude promise me if we're not with the one by the time we're 40 we'll marry each other," Trevor said the words nonchalantly as if they wouldn't have an impact on Silas. But Trevor also knew what he was doing, he knew Silas would drop it all the second he showed interest, and Trevor selfishly spent the rest of their lives using that to his advantage.

"40 is too old I want to be married before then,"

"Ok 30 then?" Trevor looks at his best friend waiting for an answer, and Silas just nods "yeah?"

"Sure Trev if we're both single by 30 will get married." Silas knows it's bullshit but he says yes anyway.

The second he relives that moment Trevor stands leaving the table cutting Joshua off, both Joshua and Helen watch him abruptly leave the table and Joshua looks at Helen confused

"What's with him?" He asks

"I don't know," Helen smiles nervously having a pretty good idea of why Trevor might be upset, "here have a cookie I'll go talk to him," she pushes her plate of freshly baked cookies in front of Joshua then leaves him at the table alone.

Helen finds Trevor tucked away in Silas' childhood bedroom hiding out, "What's going on with you?" She asks after walking in and shutting the door

Sighing Trevor turns to the woman, "are you ok with this?"

"Sure, Joshua's a good man and they're happy together, getting married only makes sense"

"But—" Trevor paces trying to mask his true feelings towards the idea, "he's a cop Helen, do we really want Sy to end up with a cop?"

"Is that really your problem with him?" She questions causing Trevor's expression to shift, he stops pacing and stares at the woman waiting for an answer, "Trevor at a certain point you're going to have to let him go, Silas deserves a life too."