"Mum...."

I cannot face him please.

I pleaded with my eyes to her and she was going to get the door and she sighed.
"I'll say you're sleeping....but you can't be like this forever."

I nodded. I'd agree with anything but at that moment, I just couldn't even hear his voice. So I pulled my knees closer covering my face and ears with my pillow.

I was scared.....soo scared.

"Meher....oye Meher. Why are you hiding like this? Oye...."

Someone tried to pull my pillow and I whimpered holding onto it tightly.

No no no no....

"Meher yaar.... I'm no ghost, I'm Zoya!"

Huh, Zoya?

I pulled the pillow down slightly and relief flooded over me.
"Zoya!" I jumped up throwing my arms around her. I was soo happy to see her and happy to know that.....it wasn't him.

She patted my back.
"So happy huh?"

I nodded.

She then hugged me tighter.
"I'm sorry na.... I.... shouldn't have yelled at you like that. I suddenly told you that I liked your brother, of course, you would be tongue tied and as much as I know you, you always get lost for words at the slightest confusion or discomfort."

"I'm sorry." I mumbled.

She broke the hug smiling.
"Don't be, you silly girl."

It made me smile slightly. My bff was no longer mad at me and we were sitting like this after soo long. It felt nice.

"But, Meher, why do you look soo pale? Your eyes are all sunken and you look like a ghost and....what is this hair?!" She inquired observing my features.

Maybe she would understand, if I tell her about Azlaan, she would....

I opened my mouth to speak but I was interrupted by Mumma.

"She had a fever because she ate too much icecream and washed the dishes with cold water. Then you know na Zoya, how much she fusses to eat when she's sick. So now her acidity increased and is vomiting." Mom lied as if it was soo normal but, when I tried to counter, one look from her made me shut up.

I gulped back my words painfully.

"Oh...is that so. Tsk, you shouldn't do that. Come, I'll make you eat." She said pinching my nose.

"Oh, you're such a nice girl Zoya!" Mumma smiled and Zoya blushed being complimented by her desired mother in law.

When Mumma went to the kitchen, Zoya held both my hands and giggled.
"Help me earn some brownie points."

I forced a slight smile nodding.

I couldn't tell her.

"Maybe this would make you happy...Jiju was asking about you~" she sang but my heart skipped with anxiety.

"Huh?"

She giggled.
"He sounded worried but he was trying to hide it. Hehe, that is soo cute. I hope Mazhar would be the same with me." She was blushing and she didn't call him bhai this time.

I let out a short laugh but nothing was funny. However, it was ironic. The one that gave me pain was worried about me.
"Worried huh?"

"Uhm.... Meher. You look creepy right now. Are you ok?"

I threw my head back on the bedpost staring into space, picturing all the times he has said those things like...
"Ugly, creepy, disgusting.... pathetic. That's all me huh? Still Zoya, why is it that...." I looked at her as all those words and the memories of that pain and helplessness was driving me insane. I was angry and frustrated and I didn't know what to do but scream.
".... I'm the only one married? Not you, nor bhai, not anyone our age...then WHY ME!?" The tears were back again and my voice choked.
"What... did I ever do soo wrong?! I... I never asked for it Zoya.... I never wanted this!" I sobbed.