Chapter 15: Warning (Jun)

Most of the time, Coders were independent from each other. There were countless Servers that existed and so, the Coders' world was very wide. Coders stayed in the Server they were in charge of and lived their life there. The times Coders interacted were when they were still Fledglings in the Academy and when they occasionally went into meetings as Administrators.

And since interactions between Coders were rare, we weren't taught how to fight against each other. The only combat techniques that were drilled into our minds were the techniques used in fighting Dump Files and Bugs. That was why I was unsure on how I could fight against the Hacker in front of me.

Hackers... Not much was known about them. There were rumors about them back when I was in the Academy but the teachers didn't confirm their existence. After all, they were Coders who willingly disregarded their responsibilities and created chaos.

Why would a Hacker be in this place? What could their goals be?

For the first time, I felt threatened. That was normal. I was a Coder, an existence that far surpassed any other lines of codes in a Server. If worse comes to worst, we could just highlight our opponent and delete them. Although that action wasn't recommended since it would cause Bugs, it assured us that we could win any fight that was in front of us.

This time, however, was different. I was facing another Coder. The person in front of me was capable of the same things that I could do. And I couldn't just delete them. Both of us were not simple lines of codes so we couldn't type out a command and delete each other. The best we could do was destroy our vessels and give each other minor inconveniences.

The three white wolves charged at me. Tch... Not only do I have to deal with a Hacker but I also had to fight Dump Files?

I pressed a violet screen and swords materialized above me. They launched themselves at the wolves at fast speed and immediately killed them. Dump Files of that size were easy to defeat.

"As expected of a 1412... You easily deleted those Dump Files", the Hacker clapped.

Judging from his voice, I could tell that he was a man. However, there was a chance that he was changing his voice.

"You're a Hacker, aren't you?" I asked.

"Indeed I am."

"Why are you on this Server? Are you here to cause chaos?"

"Mithra and Sera's project is a popular event. Countless other Coders have heard of it and they are excited to see it succeed. After all, letting other lines of code travel between Servers without causing contradictions is a huge deal."

"And why are you stopping it? Connecting two Servers won't harm anyone. Making this project fail will only just be a minor inconvenience between the two Administrators."

"It's not about whether it should fail or not. It's about sending a message."

"A message?"

"It's always known that traveling between Servers is dangerous. That's why most Coders have an unspoken rule that they shouldn't transfer things between one Server and another. However, by making this project successful, then that rule will cease to exist."

"And what's wrong with that?"

"It's just plain dumb. Rules are meant to be followed, right? Countless Coders have suffered because of a rule and look at where we are. And now you're saying that rules can be easily changed? If this rule can be changed, then by logic, that rule can also be changed, right?"

"What rule? I don't understand what you're talking about!"

"You're a 1412. You're an excellent student. You have a bright future. Of course, you know the one rule that Coders aren't allowed to break. Your teachers should have drilled it into your mind."

You are not allowed to fall in love, that rule rang in my mind.

"That's it? You're just angry because you can't love? Are you out of your mind? You'll create chaos just because you are burdened with that?!"

"Tell me this: why do you think that Coders aren't allowed to fall in love?"

"We are special beings. We can't fall in love. We'll just hurt ourselves once those lines of codes disappear."

"The textbook answer. I see. You are still brainwashed."

"What?"

"Coders are indeed special existences. We aren't just lines of codes in a Server. We are completely different from other things around us. So what will be born once a special existence would fall in love with lines of codes?"

I had no idea what he was talking about. Coders didn't have parents. We just materialize into existence randomly. Other Coders would find us and place us in the Academy to train us on how to properly use our abilities.

Even two Coders couldn't sexually produce another Coder. After all, Coders didn't have any sex. The only reason why I was a man right now was because that was how I designed my vessel. So even if two Coders fell in love, they couldn't start a family. All they could do was just create another set of codes and call them as their "children."

Yep. That's right. The rule that Coders aren't allowed to fall in love was only applicable for a Coder and other lines of codes. It was totally okay for one Coder to fall in love with another. However, it was pretty rare for it to happen. Coders rarely interacted with each other so the chances of love blooming between two were almost impossible.

"... I don't see your point. Aren't you just being a huge baby?" I asked him.

"What do you mean by that?" he asked back.

"Whining about rules and stuff. It can't be helped. Rules are made for a reason. If you're not allowed to fall in love, then don't. That's pretty easy."

The Hacker laughed.

"That's the same logic as saying "If you don't want to be homeless, then just get a home." Aren't you being naive?"

"Naive? I'm not the one who is in the wrong here. So what? You fell in love even if you aren't allowed to. Boohoo. You hate your existence. You'll cause chaos. That's like a child crying and throwing a tantrum because they can't get what they want."

"I see... So that's how you view us. Are you saying that you won't fall in love just because it isn't allowed?"

"Well duh. That's the logical course of action. Why would I do something that is forbidden?"

"Oh really now? Do you know why I approached you?"

"Because I was in your way so you can't start causing chaos in this Server?"

The man burst into laughter.

"You think highly of yourself. Even if you're a 1412, there's no way an inexperienced Coder like you could even pose a threat to our plans. I was thinking of letting you join us."

"Hah? You're telling me to pass up the chance in becoming an Administrator and become a Hacker like you? You must be kidding."

"Not when I can sense love blooming inside you."

What he said caught me off guard.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Oh dear. It seems you haven't noticed it yet. You talk big saying that you won't fall in love just because you weren't allowed to and yet I can sense love blooming inside you already."

"Don't joke around like that. I am not stupid to willingly break that rule."

A red screen appeared in front of him.

"If you ever come across the same despair we felt, I will talk to you again. As long as love is inside you, you and I will cross paths once more."

He pressed the red screen and disappeared. Tch. He logged out. I should've known he was buying time. Since he escaped from this Server, I could no longer track him down. I should report to the Administrator that I encountered a Hacker.

You talk big saying that you won't fall in love just because you weren't allowed to and yet I can sense love blooming inside you already, his words echoed in my mind.

Yeah right. It's not like I fell in love with some lines of codes. He must be delusional.