Chapter 2: Daily life of an agent (Eru)

I groaned as I stared at my computer. It was already 1 AM but I was currently hacking a guy's account. Drinking tea to relax my nerves, I headed to cracking the security system of my target's account.

Several minutes later, I finally got inside. The guy I just hacked into was a member of a certain criminal organization. From the reports of the other agents, it seemed they were experimenting with something.

My name is Reika Eru, an agent of the Global Union of Intelligence and Location Defenders or GUILD. It was an organization that was tasked with making sure the world was safe from any threats. GUILD was backed up by the United Nations and was a secret agency.

It wasn't anything special but I was an agent of GUILD. My family was a long line of agents so it was more of a family business. My father was working overseas while my mother was in another city.

My phone vibrated and when I picked it up, I had a message from my senior agent and partner, Shishiro Botan. She was a very skilled agent who could infiltrate any fortress and could take on groups of people. Our flow was that I would gather all the intel that I could get and then send it to Botan. She would then take out all the bad guys using the intel that I gave her.

Right now, I was having a fun time going through a guy's emails. So fun that I had a headache trying to understand Russian. Thanks to DeepL, I managed to get a gist of what they were saying.

Apparently, they found a way to create monsters. Although they didn't find a method to control them yet, they could create an army of them. When I was done translating and compiling the information, I sent an email to Botan.

It was finally time for me to sleep. I crashed to my bed and closed my eyes.

###

My peaceful sleep was disturbed thanks to the beeping of my alarm clock. I was having a headache thanks to the lack of sleep but I decided to just don't mind it. After eating breakfast which was leftovers from last night, I was ready for school.

Several students were on their way to the school building and I yawned as I walked. Being an agent and a high school student was tough. Even if the pay was good, the job was a huge hassle.

"Morning", somebody slapped me on my back and I saw a black-haired boy.

He was wearing our school's uniform and had violet eyes. His name was Inazuma Jun, my friend. Jun-kun was part of the innocent majority who didn't know about GUILD's existence. It was for their sake that I spend sleepless nights gathering information.

"Morning, Jun-kun", I greeted him.

"So? How's the weekend? Did you do anything fun?" he asked.

Fun? I fricking hacked a Russian guy's account and translated it. If that wasn't fun, I don't know what is.

"Not really. I just worked on my job. Pretty much standard stuff", I told him.

We went to our classroom and after a while, classes started.

It was hard to concentrate when I was really sleepy. I wonder if the excuse "I'm a secret agent who worked overtime" would be valid if I fall asleep.

I managed to hold on for the day and went home. I immediately crashed to my bed and fell asleep. Botan would take care of whatever problems that would pop up.

It was already evening when I woke up because of my phone ringing loudly. Sheesh... If this was related to GUILD, I would snap.

And as my luck would have it,it was indeed related to GUILD as Botan's name was on my screen.