Chapter 3: Emergency (Jun)

It was a weird night. Eru found out about my secret and I learned that he wasn't a regular guy. He was a dork in class who liked reading nerdy books so I never thought of him being an agent of GUILD.

I checked the System Records and looked at information about GUILD. The System Records was the collection of all knowledge of the Server. It was like a huge search system like Google that contained all information about the world. I could search about anything. It could be an organization, a person, a concept, or whatever. The only tough part was that I couldn't use it for trivial things like school since well, I couldn't write down "System Records of the Server" as my reference in a report.

GUILD or Global Union of Intelligence and Location Defenders was a secret organization founded around 120 years ago. Its roots could be traced to the Secret Intelligence Service of the United Kingdom. However, their mission was to protect the interests of the entire world instead of just one country.

I hated doing this but I tried to search Eru's name in the System Records. Like what I said, the System Records contain all information about the world. If I wanted to learn something about someone, I could just input their names in the search bar and then read on.

Reika Eru was born into a family of GUILD agents. From a young age, he was trained to protect the interests of the whole world. Although he had a bit of confidence issues and had low self-esteem, he was still a great agent. His record was really impressive although most of his missions were spent behind a computer while his partner, a beastwoman named Shishiro Botan, would take out the bad guys. He also has a slight crush on Rosenthal-san....

....

I didn't want to know that. God... I was a horrible friend for using the System Records to find out about his crush. This was the disadvantage of using the System Records. It had everything so I would be totally violating a person's privacy if I use it. The floating violet screen disappeared as I exited the records.

Now then, what should I do? I could go work on my assignments... Who was I kidding? I was going to watch random videos on the internet instead of wasting time on that.

"Ah. Sui-chan has a stream", I muttered when I saw the notification.

A video about a blue-haired girl appeared on my computer's screen. Her name was Hoshimachi Suisei, an idol... Yeah yeah. An existence that was almost like a god likes watching idols... Go ahead and laugh all you want.

I was a long time fan of hers even before she went and became popular. It was pure coincidence that I discovered her and I immediately became a fan. I was even a member of her official fan club and I was not even a bit ashamed of it.

"It's your shooting star, your diamond in the rough, idol YouTuber, Hoshimachi Suisei!" she introduced herself with a cute smile, "Sui-chan is..."

"Cute today too!!" I finished her sentence.

It was sort of like a call-and-response.... Yeah yeah... I do her call-and-response even if she can't hear me. It's a formality that common people couldn't hope to understand. I was not a creepy idol fan or anything.

She then went on to have a karaoke stream... That's great. I could work on my assignments while Sui-chan would sing. It was going to be a great night.

###

I woke up around 1 AM when a loud beeping noise echoed in my head. That beeping noise meant only one thing: it was an emergency summon. The Administrator of this Server probably had something important to tell me and judging from how he called in this unholy hour, it was an emergency.

A violet screen appeared and the words [Connecting to Administrator] were on it. I didn't bother dressing up since it was an emergency.

The words disappeared and a man in a suit appeared on the screen. He had a really friendly face and he was smiling most of the times I met him. However, his trademark smile was gone.