Chapter Nine

Sunday 7th May
Y/N's POV
"Have you been avoiding me?"

She finally breaks the silence. I'm taken back by her words, a little shocked.  "What do you mean?" I stammer.
"You haven't said a word to me since Friday."
She takes off the the road to look at me, and I don't know whether to feel flattered or terrified. I don't know what to say, I mean, how am I supposed to respond to that?
"I-"
"It's okay," she says in that lovely low tone of voice, "I'm not mad, just curious."
She taps the steering wheel with her fingers to the beat playing on the radio.
I look down into my lap, where my fingers are interlocked with each other.  "Maybe a little, yeah" I murmured lowly.

My forehead feels hot, and my cheeks feel flushed. I try to press the window button, but it won't click.
"Child locks, I have them on when I'm driving." She flicks a switch, and then continues "try it now." I do, and to my amusement the window rolls down, a gust of fresh air cooling my red cheeks. "Clint's kids are menaces when it comes to buttons" she half laughs to herself. I look over at her. Nat's eyes wince, as if she had been pinched. Beneath the gloss of laughter, I can tell she's hurting. thinking about Clint and his family.

She notices me looking over at her and smiles warmly, "About the whole, ignoring me thing, can I ask why?"
I pause for a second, the image of Steve in my mind, his disgusting scent. His hot breath on my skin, I shiver at the thought of him, I feel queasy.
"Steve, he uh-"
"Rogers?" she interrupts me, raising her voice a little, and gripping the steering wheel tighter than before. "What did he do to you? Did he hurt you again? I swear to God, if he laid a single finger on you-"
"He pushed me against a wall-" I blurted out, her eyes widened in anger. "And that's not even the worst part." I whispered, looking down at my hands, part of myself is in shock at the previous volume of my voice.

Natasha stops the car at a set of traffic lights and turns to face me properly. "Y/n, I need you to listen to me carefully," she says calmly, but her face looks hot. Not that kind of hot! Well, a bit of both really, but I meant temperature wise initially. "I need you to tell me what he did."
I can't look her in the eyes, it's too difficult. "He said that you called me a freak and that you hated me-"

Suddenly, she swerves the car out of the traffic and into some empty space in order to turn around. "Fucking Hell!" She flips the previous switch she had flipped, which rolls all the windows up, and clicks the locks in the car doors. She leans back and pushes down hard into the gas pedal. "Natasha!" I scream, "What are you doing?"
She stares forward, focusing on the road, which I kind of prefer, and ignores my yelling.

We swerve through cars and trees, my back presses hard against the leather of the car seat, I occasionally curse when we become way too close for comfort to literally any obstacle. My hands are flat out on the dashboard, in order to stop my face from flying into it. Strands of my hair are stuck to my forehead with sweat and my eyes dart around at my surroundings, we're going back to the Compound.

"Please slow down!" I shout.
"Now, why would I do a thing like that?" she replies.
She makes a hard left towards the roundabout outside the building's entrance. She pulls the car up to the building's North entrance, gets out and slams the door. I try to do the same to follow her, but the door is locked.

"Fucking child locks!" I lean over into Natasha's seat, and flick the switch to let myself out. "She's going to fucking kill him."

(A/N: I'm really loving the story version of this over the TikTok story version, it's easier to add details in this one, and to correct any mistakes that i previously made.)