Chapter Eight

Sunday 7th May
Y/N's POV
I love my best friends.

After the meeting, Wanda practically drags me outside to the East Courtyard, that's our spot. Mine, Wanda's and Bruce's. We carved our initials into the bench that sits there, about a month after I arrived at the Compound.

"Oh my Gods Wanda! I can't believe this!" I can barely contain my happiness, and I almost jump into her arms, wrapping my own around her. "Thank you, thank you, thank you..." We spin around in circles, engulfed in each other's arms, laughing like no one can hear.
"You're welcome!" she says in a singsong tone.
"Is that a Moana reference?" I giggle.
"Of course," she says, "You know how much I adore Lin-Manuel Miranda!!"

I laugh again, "This is my chance Red!" I release her from my tight hug and stretch my hands out to join with hers. "I know! I'm so happy for you," She spins me around and scrunches her nose. "I can't wait to be your maid of honour!" she sighs dreamingly.
"Woahh, slow down, I haven't even confessed to her yet, it's a bit early to be getting married!"
To my confusion, Wanda's looking past me, giggling.
"What are yo-"

Without any warning, Bruce creeps up behind me and pokes me in the sides to scare me.
"whO'S GETTING MARRIED?!" He exclaims, laughing.
"Ha. Ha. Very funny Bruce. NO ONE is getting married."
"Oh really?" he pokes me in the sides again causing me to giggle.
I try to suppress it and be serious, "Bruce, no! That tickles!"
"I know it does!" the pair of them laughing at my pain.
"Y/N and Natasha are going to get married! Mr Man of Honour!" Wanda exclaims, laughing.
Bruce finally stops tickling me, and says in a fake posh British voice: "Oh wow, I am honoured!"
"Shut it Greeny. You guys, I haven't even told her how I feel yet." I sit down on our bench, and they follow and sit either side of me, Wanda to my left and Bruce to my right.
"But, I promise, if it works out, you can be my 'People of Honour." I smile and the duo hug me from either side, me being happily sandwiched in the centre. "There's our idiot!" Bruce says grinning, his glasses lifting up.
"We're so proud of you Y/N." Wanda says quietly, muffled by the wool of my clothes.
"Thank you," I sniffle at the comment. I will not cry! I tell myself. Shit. "You can cry if you want." Wanda says.
She pauses, "Oh shoot! Sorry Y/n, I thought you were speaking!" We both laugh as tilts his head in confusion and then joins in with the laughter.
"Oop," Wanda breaks the hug and looks towards the East door, "look who's coming outside!" she says half shouting, half whispering.
It's Natasha. Wow, her hair looks beautiful today, I didn't get a proper look earlier at the meeting. It's curled and looks like it's glowing in the Sunlight. She walks to her, opens the door and gets inside.
Bruce whispers, "Maybe you should tell her now."
"Not yet, you big oaf, I'm waiting for the right time." I laugh nervously at the thought of it. Maybe I could wait forever? I mean, I don't see the harm in that.
"No, you can't wait forever silly." Wanda sighed, exchanging looks with Bruce, who is shaking his head at me.
Whilst we were talking, Nat pulls up her car in front of our bench and rolls down her passenger seat window.
"Hey guys, what are you talking about?" her voice is hoarse yet sweet. Her green eyes look as bright as the Time Stone...
Wanda nudges me, I can feel Wanda's devious smile without even looking at her, I guess I must have been staring.
"Ah, nothing really." I laugh nervously.
She squints her eyes and raises her eyebrow in disbelief, but laughs and says "Ah, okay then, Y/N, wanna hop in? We need to discuss the assignment."
Oh Gods yes!!! I think. Wanda looks over to Bruce and scrunches her nose.
"Sure," I smile, trying to seem completely calm and cool in this situation. Even though, internally, I am freaking the fuck out.
I open the passenger door, and sit down next to her. She smells so sweet, like rose water. But also like burning candles and all things good. Wet rain on wood, like countryside in Autumn...
"Bye Y/n!" Wanda says, snapping me out of my daydream once again. I mouth 'thank you' to her out of the open window and she nods.
"See you later, guys!"
I roll the window up almost to the top, letting in a little fresh air so that I can still breathe.

(A/N: hey everyone! i wish i had best friends like Wanda and Bruce, don't you?)