Chapter Six

Saturday 6th May
Y/N's POV
Where is Bruce?

Think. Think. Think for fuck's sake!
I pause, for a second, tears streaming down my face, my arm hurts, my sleeve torn open.
I look up at the clock in the sitting room: it's almost dinner time, so he's in the Lab. I speed past Bucky and Sam, I can't let them see my face. I run again, my face covered by my hands.
"Y/N?" Sam asks.
I ignore him, running again towards the downstairs Laboratory. He is probably working on something important down there, so I need to be careful. I burst through the door, which slams behind me.
"Bruce?" I look around the room desperately.
I turn to leave, but I hear his voice. "Y/n? Are you okay?" He's sitting on his workbench in the corner with Natasha, she looks like she's been crying. Bruce, he's wearing his purple suit shirt, and his welding mask.
"Never mind, it doesn't matter." I say, shutting my eyes tight, and I push through the double doors once again to leave the room. I run back out, towards the exit.

Bruce's POV
Natasha calls after them, but it's too late. Y/n has already ran back out of the door. "I'm sorry," I slam my tools down on the work bench, "I have to go after them, they're my best friend."
"Bruce, you won't say anything right?" Natasha says, she's biting her nails, her brow furrows.
"I'm not going to say anything to them, don't worry Nat, " I walk towards the door, but finally turn to look her in the eyes, "but you should."
I pause and nod solemnly at the thought of my best friend crying like that. It hurts. I exit the room with a half smile at Natasha and make my way into the centre of the ground floor. "Aw dang." I whisper to myself. I didn't see which way they went. "Hey Friday?"
"Good afternoon Dr. Banner, what can I assist you with?"
"Uh, yeah, did you see which way Y/n ran?"
I look around hoping to catch a sight of them through the windows.
"Towards the East Courtyard, Sir."
"Of course, why didn't I think of that? Thanks Friday!"
"Anytime Dr. Banner."
I make my way towards the East Courtyard as fast as I can.
"Y/n?!"
They're sitting on a bench, their elbows leaning on their knees, and hands covering their face.
I sit beside them, quietly, trying not startle them too much. I wrap my arms around them and they sob quietly.

Y/N's POV
"Hey, what's wrong?" a familiar voice from my best friend, his arms wrapped around me, squeezing me tightly. "I'm sorry Bruce.." I need to chose my words carefully now, I can't upset him.
"Steve, he-"
He cuts me off quickly this time, "Steve? What did he do? Did he hurt you again?" his eyes darken, his hands begin to tremble. I place mine on top of his. "Hey, hey" I look into his eyes, I need to be able to calm him if it comes to it. "It's okay," he says, his eyes fading back into a dark brown. "I can handle it."
"He said that he talked to Nat, about Friday's mission?"
He nods gently, "Steve, well, he said that she thought I was an 'unloveable freak" my words trip over themselves, they get caught in my throat.
Bruce smiles at me and squeezes my hands,
"Y/n.."
"Bruce, it's not funny." I say, shocked at his reaction.
"I don't think that you understand." He says kindly, smiling wider.
"What are you getting at?" I say impatiently.
He pauses and squeezes my hands again.
"Well, ever since you told us about Steve..."
I bite my lip as the image of him flutters in my mind again.
"She hates him, won't speak to him. Won't even say his first name."
I think for a moment. "So you mean, he was lying?"
"Why, of course he was! Nat would never talk about you like that Y/n. I thought that was obvious.." he smiles to himself.
"And what exactly do you mean by 'obvious'? Greeny?"
"Nothing," he says quickly, laughing weakly, "come here, you!" He pulls me into a hug, he smells amazing, as always, and he's always so warm. We sit comfortably for a few minutes. "You can't keep letting him get into your head like that," he says quietly, "you're stronger than that."
"Thank you Bruce." I smile at him.
"No need to thank me silly, how about some ice cream?"
"Ice cream fixes problems."
"Yes, Y/n, yes it does. And that's coming from a Doctor."
I chuckle, and we walk away together, my head leaning on his shoulder as we do.

[A/N: hey, don't forget to vote if you're enjoying the story!]