Chapter 4 - A safe place

Start from the beginning

"Lets set up here" Madeliene says what we are thinking, and begins to look for bigger stones to help cover some of the entrance. You set down the bags you carried, and began to look for sticks. You would need to find a spot farther away for the horses, in case you were spotted, so they could be safe.

A half mile away there was a nice valley, high enough that the horses wouldnt just escape without a little help, but not so deep that it would hurt them. You take note, and keep gathering sticks. You'd have to tell Madeliene later.

Returning, you saw that there was big rocks covering the front, and inside, Pastry and Espresso had begun to dig out more space, now you could walk, unless you were Madeliene, who hit his head.

Against a wall, you dig a pit and set the sticks there, and a few feet away, you set up an area to sleep. It was vastly different from the soft bed you slept in last night, but it would do.

You walk out and admire the sky, it was already getting dark. It had taken all day to get here, and you felt too worn out to go any further. You walk back in, and see the group sitting around a small fire, small enough that the smoke wouldnt suffocate you.

"So... whats the plan exactly?" You ask, curious as to what they were supposed to do next.

"Well, I think we should lay low for a day or so, and just Spy on the tower" Espresso says, a lot calmer than he was a while ago.

"I dont think I can go" Pastry said, "I can help gather supplies and help from the outside but, I just dont think I can handle going back in"

"We understand, dont push yourself, Im sure there will be work you can help with" Raspberry comforts her, "I think we should go in pairs. Worst case scenario, if one gets caught  the other can run out and come tell us, and we can save them right away, without a long period of time passing."

I nod, it sounds like the safest way to investigate.

"Im not going with Madeliene, Ill go with either of you but not him" Espresso declares, I guess he was still upset about earlier.

"What if you and I go first, Espresso, Y/n and Madeleine can go after us, on the next day. We will have different perspectives, and maybe we can establish a way to defeat them and recover the tower." Raspberry says, to appease Espresso's curt request.

"Thats fine with me" you say, looking to Madeliene.

"Aw, but my love, why not me" Madeliene says wiping a fake tear away, before laughing. Espresso rolled his eyes, standing up and disting himself off.

"We should sleep, so we can go in the early hours, Raspberry"

Raspberry nods, standing up and dusting herself, following Espresso, leaving just you and Madeleine.

"So, how have you been?" Madeline tries to make conversation.

"Ive been better, Ive kinda just been wasting my life away, havent gotten a job or settled down with anyone" you look at him and smirk "and maybe I dont want to, Im content with just raising Pancake"

"So.. hes your kid?" He asks confused.

Your face heats up a little when you realize what he insinuated. (This works on all ends of the spectrum, I believe) "No, hes actually my cousin, my aunt took me in, and Ive been caring for him"

"Thats nice of you, Im sure if you wanted to settle with someone, you wouldnt have a hard time" he states. You smile, and then mischievously ask, "And what about you? You fancy anyone?"

He seemed to think for a second, before shaking his head. "Not that I can think of, no, Ive been to busy with out situation to go around trying to find a lover" he says, "Maybe I will someday, though"

You nod, pleased at his response.

"Im gunna go sit outside for a moment, you can join me, or get some sleep"

"Im kind of tired, I think Ill go to sleep" you say, getting up and walking over to your makeshift bed. "Goodnight Madeliene"

"Goodnight Y/n"

° ° ° ° °
It was cold, the kind of cold where you can't tell if you are just cold, or wet.

You sat up and looked around, "Dammit, not this again" you turn to look at the same red light in the far distance.

"What do you want this time, you were so quiet, hadnt bothered me in a while" you teased.

It didnt speak this time, before, it would say 1 word, and it always seemed like nonsense, you stopped keeping track of what it was saying.

"Well? Hellooo?" You wave your hand in the air to get its attention.

"You better leave" it said, in its voice that sounded airy, like a flute.

"What?" This was the first time it aaid more than just one word.

"Leave" it repeated.

You sat without saying anything for a moment. You were confused, leave where? The cave? The kingdom?

"LEAVE" Its voice thundered the ground, the small red light now a giant red flame. Inside the flame, you could hear crying, you didnt know whos crying that was.

° ° ° ° °

You jump up, no longer in that dark place. Now, you hit your head againt Espressos head, who was checking on you.

"Oww, son of a bitch" he said, rubbing his head, you hit him pretty hard.

"Im sorry, Im sorry, I didnt mean to" you wave your hands infront of you, apologizing, you rreach up to his head and drawing a small circle, you heal it.

You stare at him for a moment, "Why were you hovering over me" you ask

"You were like, freaking out, and you were crying" he says, getting up and stepping back.

Touching your face, you realize you WERE crying, but why?

You start laughing nervously.

"Oh, ha, I just had a bad dream, thats all" you laugh it off, hoping they wont pry further.

He nods,"I have to go with Raspberry now, I can ask Pastry check on you in a moment, since Madeliene is still out cold." He points to Madeliene, who is sleeping like a baby, and didnt seem to stir at all, despite your loud talking.

"Alright, good luck Espresso" you wish him off

"Thanks"

He walks out of the cave, pushing a medium sized rock to cover some of the entrance.

'That was weird...'