Chapter Eleven: Grian

So close to the end. So. Freakin'. Close.

WC: ~750

Enjoy!

"Thank you to everyone who chose to attend today," Xay's voice rang out over the crowd. "I'm not one for speeches and meetings, political gatherings where I make a bunch of pathetic small talk. Which is why I've chosen to simply cut to the chase, today."

It was a couple of days after the attack, and Xay had gathered every Watcher who was willing to attend right outside the ruins of the fallen building.

"We were attacked," Xay continued. "Zena, a Watcher that many, if not all of you know. She used to be our ruler, but she turned against us. She destroyed our Center, and murdered Xexzi." There was a gasp in the crowd at that, and Grian felt his heart clench painfully. Xay hesitated for a moment, then carried on.

"If you're thinking that this shouldn't have happened, then you're right," he said. "It shouldn't have happened, and I'm so sorry that it did. I, as your leader, am responsible for this, and it should have never happened on my watch. But on that note, we are Watchers. We're strong, stronger than we think we are. We can rebuild from the ashes that came from the destruction. We can rebuild, better than before. And we will, I know we will, and the first step? Communication."

"I want you to tell the ones that you love, tell them that Zena is gone and not coming back. I want you to tell them that we're going to work together as a community to make things better, make it all better than it was before. And I want you to tell them..." Xay paused, swallowing down a catch in his throat.

"I want you to tell them that it'll be okay. Thank you for coming, you're all dismissed."

Xay stepped down from the makeshift podium as the Watchers started clapping and filing out. When they were all gone, Xay turned to Grian and Xisuma, the Hermits that had attended. None of the other Hermits understood Galactic, so it would've been pointless if they'd come.

"Was that okay?" he asked, switching to English, with worry in his voice.

"Better than okay, Xay," Xisuma breathed. "That was perfect." Xay beamed at him as Grian nodded his agreement.

"Thanks for coming, you two," Xay said. "Moral support."

"Of course," Grian replied, smiling. "I can't wait to see what the Watchers become."

"Neither can I," Xay admitted. "It'll be an improvement, I hope."

"They've already improved so much," Xisuma assured him. "You're doing great, Xay."

"Good to know," he laughed. "Please tell me if I become a Zena The Second."

"Can't see that happening," Grian offered. "Unless you go crazy or something."

"Eh, I probably won't," Xay offered. "But anyways, I think you two need to get going." Xisuma nodded.

"We do," he agreed. "Come on, G." Grian nodded, and right before leaving with Xisuma, turned to Xay.

"We did it. Now, time to make things even better than we ever dreamed possible."

"It's amazing what we accomplished, honestly," Grian murmured under the soft glow of moonlight. "We turned off permadeath. We rebuilt the Watchers."

It's late at night, and he and Mumbo are outside together, alone in the dark.

"We revived the dead," Mumbo added, a teasing tone to his voice. Grian laughed and leaned against the tree that they were talking under.

"I guess we did," he chuckled. "Or, you all did. I just kind of wrote back."

"It's nice to have you back," Mumbo's smile was visible, even in the dark.

"It's nice to be back," he replied, returning the smile.

It was about then that Grian realized how close they were sitting.

The two merely stared at each other for a second, and although there wasn't any sound, there certainly was communication.

A mutual feeling unearthed, if you will.

Grian slowly leaned closer, watching for a reaction. Mumbo didn't move away, so Grian took that as a green light.

The Watcher softly kissed him, then moved away, a smile creeping onto his face.

"That was nice," Mumbo admitted after a moment, laughing nervously. "Better than nice."

"Then maybe we could do it more than once?" Grian offered. Mumbo nodded, slowly, but still certain.

"Yeah," he agreed. "I'd... I'd like that."

It couldn't have been better, and in that moment, Grian found himself at more peace than he'd ever been in.

Zena was gone.

The Watchers were recovering.

The Hermits accepted him.

Grian laid his head on Mumbo's shoulder, still smiling.

This feeling,

This is what trust feels like.

And I never want to let it go.

*stands on top of a building* YOU'VE BEEN FOOLED

YOU'VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED.

REDEMPTION AND REFLECTION WAS JUST A GRUMBO SLOWBURN THIS WHOLE TIME!!

HAHHAHAHDKAHDKAJHFKJAHFKSGFKUGOFBjdsgvukdhkafslio

-Storm