Chapter Ten: Xanthus

I have nothing to say, which is rather out-of-character for me, considering I normally can't shut up.

Slight heads-up here, this chapter is kiiiiinda intense. It's not bloody, but it is physically painful for the characters. Proceed with caution!

WC: ~1200

Enjoy!

Xay's blood ran cold, fear pounding through him like a heartbeat.

The fighting drew still as the rebels were commanded to leave, only the Hermits and Zena remaining.

They were in a semicircle around Xisuma and Zena, all frozen in fear.

Xisuma typed something in, then frowned.

"Hm, it appears that 'kill all' has been forbidden," he remarked. "That's fine, I can do this in better ways. I'd much rather enjoy this than just get it over with."

Suddenly, pain burst into Xay's system, accompanied with the screams of some of the Hermits.

The pain only grew stronger, and Xay clutched his chest and fell to the ground, tears burning in his eyes.

He wasn't the only one.

"Not so powerful now, hm?" Xisuma's voice was taunting. "A little poison command, put in to be everlasting. Too easy."

Xay grit his teeth, knowing that he won't be able to respond, even if he tried.

"Aha," Xisuma continued. "Xanthus. Taking my place, are you? Do you seriously think that you could possibly qualify to lead the Watchers. You've already destroyed what we are, putting our masks over our chests."

"N-no," Xay managed to spit out. "Haven't- haven't destroyed it. Only made it better."

"Better?" Xisuma spat. "You've made it all so much worse. But that's alright, I can clean up for your mistakes. But I can't have you around, can I? It'd be... problematic, wouldn't it?"

Xisuma went to type something in his communicator.

The sound of something shattering.

An arrow, right in the holographic projector of the communicator.

They all turned to see who had shot it, and standing there was Helsknight.

"Ugh," Xisuma didn't seem too bothered by the device's destruction. He detached the communicator and threw it aside, it clattering on the endstone as it landed. "That's fine. I don't need it anyways. I can kill you all, easily. But I'll start with none other than the Admin."

And with that, Xisuma walked away, walking himself off the ledge, into the Void.

The same ledge that had claimed Grian was going to steal away Xisuma.

No.

Xay opened his wings.

Every muscle in his body screamed in agony.

Half a heart.

Xay jumped up, then dove into the Void after Xisuma.

Black pooled at the edges at his vision, the speed and pain combining, threatening to knock him out. He blinked furiously, telling himself that he couldn't, he had to keep going, he had to reach out-

He grabbed Xisuma's hand in his own, then started flying up.

Xisuma stared up at him, indigo eyes wide with astonishment.