Chapter Five: Xisuma

"But Xisuma's dead!!"

*arches eyebrow* what the HELL makes you think that's preventing me from writing a chapter in his perspective?

WC: ~900 (oh wait this is also supposed to be half a chapter hAH-)

Enjoy!

The Void.

That was the best phrase Xisuma could use to describe what he saw around him.

He felt like he was held in place by blades of quicksand, impossible to pull against, but seemingly still escapable for the optimistic mind.

And Xisuma was notorious for being optimistic.

He pulled on the invisible restraints, and whenever he tired, the faces of the Hermits flashed in his mind, and he'd fight again.

And suddenly, the restraints fell away, leaving Xisuma to fall forward against the sudden empty space.

He stood up again, looking around fearfully. There was nothing there, nothing to see, nothing except Void-

There was a figure in the distance.

Xisuma ran to it, hope filling his heart, determination fueling each of his steps.

He skidded to a stop when he was close enough to see the figure ahead.

Close enough to recognize him.

Xisuma's eyes grew wide, wide and filled with tears.

The figure turned around, then saw him.

They both stood frozen for a moment, before Xisuma's voice broke the silence.

"...Biffa?"

And oh, when Biffa hugged him, Xisuma felt like his heart was going to swell up, just to shatter all over again. When Biffa ran to be closer, when Xisuma melted into his embrace because Void, he missed him, Xisuma wondered if he was dreaming, because Biffa was gone, had been ripped away from him as revenge.

"I've missed you, 'Suma," Biffa breathed.

"I- how are you here?" Xisuma whispered, though it came out as more of a sob. "I can't believe it- you- I've missed you so much-"

"It's less of how I'm here," Biffa chuckled. "And more of how you are."

"What?" was all Xisuma could manage.

"You... well, you died, Xisuma."

Xisuma froze, slowly comprehending.

"I..." he trailed off, chuckling softly, in disbelief.

"But it's not too late," Biffa continued. "'Suma, there's a thing in Voidwalker culture called "rewards". Essentially, it's magic. Bestowed upon those who earned it. I just so happened to be carrying the magic of reincarnation. But it only applies after I'm dead. Which I am. So... I can still save you."

Xisuma stared at him, his words not registering in his head.

A second chance.

I can go back.

"Can't I take you with me??" Xisuma tried. "Does that work?" Biffa shook his head.

"No," he sighed. "Not only does it only work once, but I can't use it on myself."

"But... I need you, Biffa," Xisuma mumbled.

"No, you don't," the Voidwalker argued. "You did so much without me. Xisuma, I'm so proud of you. You pulled off things that I could've never done, figured out things with that huge brain of yours, did so much despite how hard it was for you."

"Still didn't figure out a lot of things, though," Xisuma grumbled.

"Like what?" Biffa challenged.

"How Grian survived," Xisuma offered. "He was killed by a Watcher."

Biffa stared at him, as if he didn't believe he was serious.

"Xisuma..." Biffa said slowly. "That's because Zena isn't a Watcher."

Xisuma blinked, his mind refusing to register the words that had spilled out of Biffa's mouth.

"Well, she kind of is?" Biffa continued. "Half Watcher, anyways. And half Voidwalke- you seriously didn't know this??"

"Uh- no???" Xisuma sputtered. "But that doesn't explain how Grian survived in the Void!!"

"Oh my," Biffa chuckled. "How are you so smart yet so dense all at once? Grian isn't fully a Watcher either. And you already know that- remember when you took your helmet off in front of him?"

Oh.

Oh my god.

Biffa was completely correct- a part of him had known.

Even though he never registered it.

After the glitching incident, Xisuma had taken his helmet off around Grian, because he had heard of something similar to the glitches, but in Voidwalkers, not in Watchers.

And the reason he took his helmet off?

A secret ability Watchers had.

To see colors in everyone except other Watchers.

Xisuma suspected that Grian wasn't actually a Watcher, because of the glitching.

And taking off his helmet, which masked the colors radiating off of everyone, just confirmed his suspicions.

Grian had colors coming off him, which meant he wasn't a Watcher.

But Xisuma had denied it, in complete shock and disbelief.

And then forgot about it... until now.

"Still think I'm smart?" Xisuma muttered, burying his face in his hands. "I can't believe I missed that."

"Happens to the best of- oh-" Biffa's tone changed, panic lacing it. "You have to get going, Xisuma. Look at your hands."

Xisuma glanced down, then nearly screamed when he saw his color had faded. Not completely, but enough to look rather terrifying.

"This isn't how the Void kills!" Xisuma cried, shaking his hands out as if it would restore their color.

"The Void isn't killing you!!" Biffa shouted. "Being with me is killing you. Life and death aren't supposed to collide, 'Suma."

A hole opened up beside Xisuma, and he knew that when he went through, he'd be restored.

Revived.

"Go through," Biffa murmured. "And my heart will go through with you."

Xisuma swallowed, then hugged Biffa, perhaps crushing him under the force.

"I'll miss you," he whispered.

"And the Hermits will miss you even more if you don't go. Now."

Xisuma nodded, then moved back.

And without looking away from Biffa, he stepped backwards and fell.

Fell back into life.

And Xisuma knew when he opened his eyes, he'd be back where he started.

But with new knowledge, and a new secret uncovered.

And maybe, just maybe, that secret would be the key to it all.

PLATONIC BIFFSUMA PLATONIC BIFFSUMA YES YES NO ROMANTIC STUFF HERE *COUGH COUGH* XISUMA IS UNCOMFORTABLE SCUDFACE-

-Storm