Chapter 20

I walked beside John as he showed me around. I looked for any places to escape if needed. "You weren't supposed to see me whip than man," John told me. I squinted slightly, but didn't answer. We walked in silence as we went back. I started to miss Carl. After a couple of days, I realized how much I needed him. I just didn't know if he felt the same way. Does he care that i'm gone? Does he worry? I don't even know what to think anymore. . .
        I looked down at my knife as I sat. There was nothing to do around here. Everyone was older than me, none of them my age. There were few women. Holding in the tears, I saw Mary come over. "How did you end up alone?" she asked me curiously. "It was my chose. I thought he would be better without me. But I need him, even if he doesn't need me," I said. She hugged me. We let go quickly. I stood, and walked outside of the door. I looked around the huge town. I don't want to be separated from Carl anymore. But getting out of here is going to be a problem. They guard the perimeter, and kill those who trespass. I hope one of those people isn't anyone from the group.
        I kept my gun up as I hunted with John and Andy. "We need enough food for everyone," John explained to us. I nodded, when a deer came across my vision. I whistled to John and Andy, and pointed to it. Andy shot it, forcing it to fall. John jogged over, stabbing it in the head. "Good job Abby!" John exclaimed. We then went back to the town.
        John cooked the deer, and I stayed back. I watched out the window as the outside got darker. Looking back over slightly, John showed me the deer was ready. I sat around a circle with everyone else, and ate the deer cooked for me. I went back to where I slept the night before, and placed my bag next to me. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.
        My eyes snapped open, and I quickly looked around. I sighed and stood. Looking out of the window, I saw the others talking. I went outside. "Abby! Perfect! We need you for something," John said. I slowly walked closer. "We need you to go into training with our group. We take people of the group who have done something wrong, and show you what the consequences are like. It will help to teach you what happens if you break a rule," he explained. Oh no. This does not sound good at all. I faked a smiled and nodded. Andy lead me to the building, where I was going to have to watch as innocent people died in front of my eyes.
        Andy lead the first man into the killing room, while the man squirmed. "This guy took food from one of us," he said as he tied him up. I squinted and stayed back. Andy took a knife from a small table, and put it to the mans chest. He cut into his stomach, causing the man to suffer from the pain. I covered my mouth and watched, unable to do anything. Andy took a bigger knife, and stabbed the man in the back. The man yelled in pain, and Andy finally stabbed him in the head.
        I angrily walked over to John. After everything I had seen, I was not happy. "Why can't you guys just shoot them in the head and get it over with?!" I shouted, interrupting his conversation. He shot a dirty look at me, and put his hand over his gun holster. "Go ahead, I dare you," I whispered. He squinted. He grabbed my wrist, and tied me to a post. "I'll be back with a weapon for your consequence!" he yelled, walking out of the room. I squirmed, unable to reach my knife. Okay, bad idea.
        John walked back in, holding a small pocket knife. "I didn't want to have to do this since you're so young," he said. I squirmed once again, and he grabbed my shoulder, forcing me to stop moving. He put a bandanna in my mouth so I couldn't yell or scream. He put the pocket knife away, instead starting to punch me. He punched me in my side, and I squinted from the pain. I tried to scream, but he slapped me across the face. "Shut it!" he yelled. He kicked me in the stomach, causing me to feel sick. He pushed me back, as my nose and side bled. He walked out of the room, leaving me here. Probably to die.