Chapter 1

I sighed as I packed up my bag, leaving my small camp in the woods. My name is Abby. Abby Anderson. I limped, as I had recently hurt my leg. I sighed as I started to walk along a tarred road, leading to a town. I was with my mom and sister, but walkers got them. I was forced to kill them before they turned. I kept walking, when I saw a small town. It looked abandoned. I walked into a house, and examined it. There were no walkers. I walked up the stairs, when suddenly I heard men downstairs. One sounded older, but one sounded my age. I looked around, looking for a place to hide. I saw a closet, and silently ran into it. I closed the door, as I heard the door to the room slowly open.
        I stayed silent, trying to make it so they wouldn't find me. "Find anything?" I heard a man ask. "No," a boy answered. Suddenly, I moved my foot, hitting something. Crap, I thought. I heard a gun being loaded, as the closet door slowly opened. The first thing I saw was a gun barrel in my face. The boy backed up, and he wore a sheriff's hat. He looked about fifteen, my age. The older man seemed to be in his mid thirties, and looked like he was his dad. The older man walked over. "How many walkers have you killed?" he questioned me. The boy kept his gun aimed. "Too many to count," I answered. "How many people have you killed?" I looked down slightly. "Two," I said. "Why?" he asked, his head slightly tilted. "My mom and sister were about to turn," I answered honestly. He nodded, and the boy slowly lowered the gun.
        "Well, i'm Rick Grimes, and this is my son Carl," the older man said. "I'm Abby Anderson," I explained. Carl looked over, keeping his eyes on me. "Listen, Abby, we have a prison where we live. It's safe, and there's other people. You could come back with us, if you want," Rick said. I nodded. "Sure," I answered. He smiled and nodded, and we walked downstairs, then started to walk in the direction of the prison.
        We arrived at the prison, and it was surrounded with huge fences. My eyes widened a bit. I haven't had this much of a protected building throughout the whole apocalypse. Someone opened the gate to let us in, then quickly closed us after we walked in. I hid the limp, not wanting to bring even more attention to myself. We walked into the building, and there were many jail cells. There were supplies in them, and it looked like they lived in them. "Carl, show Abby around," Rick said. Carl nodded, and motioned for me to follow him.
        "And, finally, this is your cell," he said. "Thanks," I answered, looking around. I placed my bag on my bed. "No problem. I noticed you were limping. You okay?" Carl asked. "Oh, yeah, i'm fine," I said. The cut really wasn't bad, it just hurt. I landed on a rock running from walkers. He slightly tilted his head. "You don't just limp for no reason," he said. I sighed and lifted up my pant leg, up to my shin. It revealed a cut. "Let me get Hershel," he said. I widened my eyes a bit as he left. Great, now someone else is going to see it, I thought. Not only did I have that, but I have scars on my right arm, from fighting off walkers. An old man walked in, and checked out the cut.
        I sigh as I lay in my bed, my leg bandaged. Carl walked in, bringing me some water and food. He handed it to me, and sat at the foot of my bed. "Thanks," I said as I took the food. He nodded. I have to admit, he is very cute. But I couldn't say that. I sat up and ate. I haven't tasted a nice cooked deer in a long time. I drank some water after I chewed. Carl chuckled. "When was the last time you ate?" he asked. I blushed a bit, and lowered the plate. "Days," I answered, letting out a small chuckle. I didn't realize I was eating like that. The cells started to get dark, and I realized night was coming. "Alright, well, night," Carl said, as he walked out of my cell. I put my plate and water down, and threw my head against the pillow. I pulled the blanket up over my shoulders,  and slowly fell asleep.
        I woke up, hearing everyone awake. I rubbed my eyes. Man, they wake up really early, I thought. I slowly sat up, and stood. I saw my sword and gun on a table, and picked them up. I attached the pouch for my gun on my waist. I put the strap going over my chest for my sword on, then put my vest on. I pulled my sword over the vest. I walked out of my cell, seeing Carl and other people up, including Rick. I closed one eye, still tired.
        "Abby, this is Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, Carol, Hershel, Sasha, and Beth," Rick said. I smiled at everyone, and nodded. We all walked outside, and Carl and I walked around. "So, how did you survive this long on your own?" Carl asked me curiously. "I'm not sure, but my dad showed me a lot," I answered. He nodded, and we kept walking. It was still kind of awkward, espically considering how we met. 
        The night sky started to come. It came very quickly, much quicker than when I was on my own. Hershel had gone missing earlier today, and I slightly started to worry. I sighed as I placed my gun and sword on the table in my cell. I lay in my bed, falling into a deep sleep.
        "Abby! Wake up!" I heard Carl yelling. My eyes snapped open. "We have to get outside, now!" he said, as he pulled me up by my wrist. I grabbed my sword and gun, along with my bag as he pulled me outside. I saw a man with a tank, and Hershel kneeling on the ground. I put my sword pouch and gun pouch on. Daryl handed me a gun, and I nodded, pointing at the strange man with the tank.