Chapter Sixteen: Greek Gods and Angels

Greek Gods and Angels

"I'm telling you, sis. Morpheus has become obsessed with a woman."

“It was bound to happen at some point, brother.”

“A mortal woman,” Apollo clarified.

"That is impossible. You know as well as I Morpheus has no love left for mortals - especially their women."

"What makes you think that oh-great-and-powerful-wizard?" Apollo inquired both amused and annoyed. It was a common combination whenever he talked to his twin sister.

"How else would you explain his determination to quit his charge?" Artemis replied, looking out the picture window at the large game reservation below. From where she stood she could make out more than a half a dozen animals she could hunt to her heart's content.

Washington State was not a denizen of immortal activity, but its blend of nature and modernism was unlike any other she'd found elsewhere in these modern times. It was only natural she'd keep a residence here. This particular house had been designed to appeal to her modern tastes without losing sight of the wilderness she craved. The entire backside of her house was glass and faced the east in honor of her twin. Because of this, her first floor was continually flooded with so much natural light Artemis never felt the need to turn on any of the artificial ones. It mattered little either way - her night vision was better than most of her ilk.

Apollo let out a gusty sigh. "Listen, I don't pretend to understand the motivations of such a total loser," he answered as he leaned back in her leather recliner. Artemis was as bad as most of the other gods - it was like none of them could ever just answer a question straight out. Besides Hermes, he was the only one that had gotten with the times and just answered a freaking question. He took another sip of the Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat his sister kept on hand for him before continuing, "All I know is that he's playing secret protector to one of them. If I hadn't seen it for myself, I would've never believed it."

Apollo hadn't told his sister where he'd seen her or under what conditions. He was a lot of things; wickedly stunning and amazing in bed for starters, but stupid wasn't on the list. His latest escapades in the dream realm would only set Artemis off on another one of her tirades that he had no desire to pretend to listen to. It was no secret she hated Thor, and the last thing he needed was her bitching at him about the Norse thunder god for another freaking decade.

Really, sisters could be such a pain in the ass.

There was a large flash and suddenly the dark dream god was there.

"You golden fuck! You just couldn't leave things well enough alone, could you?" Morpheus growled, before launching himself at Apollo. He knocked the sun god out of the chair and flat on his back and commenced on punching the ever living crap out of his perfect face.

Again.

Morpheus knew someone else had been inside Gwen's dream the instant he'd been attacked and dragged off by one of the aliens. Wild variables changed the order of events or allowed for small surprises to keep a dreamer guessing, but nothing so powerful as leaving him open for attack. The only beings powerful to manipulate dreams to cause him bodily harm were fellow gods, and the only one that would dare was the sack of shit he was currently trying to pound into a pancake - a golden, sunshine-filled crepe.

Apollo grunted and tried to toss the heavy god off him, but Morpheus used his wings as leverage and held him down as he continued his barrage. "If you ever interfere in my business again I'm going to break something that won't heal even for you, Apollo. Something you're going to miss...a lot."