chapter [27]

[Rune]

"RUNE *cough* FUCK RUN AWAY!!"

I needed a second to grasp in what situation I was when the shape shifter that held my hand had already transformed into another person.
Now it was a bulky bald man with yellow teeth and an even sicker grin.

We had been tricked! They had found us in here although these apartments were protected with all kinds of electronics and surveillance!

I could not stay calm anymore.

After finding out that this person was a shape shifter I knew that they had average strength so I could free myself from the person's grip using a technique.

At the same time Jane was yanked back into the room and I ran after her expecting anything and everything inside that room. What I found were two men forcefully holding her down and punshing her head so hardly that she fell unconscious before I could interfere. One of them had to be gifted with strength if he was able to hold her down. The other one had an ability unknown to me but the black colour of his fingertips rang a bell.

I had read about the Zahar family having this kind of discoloration and pointed nails because through their nails they could inject poison into a living being. Depending on the person it could either be effectless, cause pain, unconsciousness, halluzinations and in very very rare cases even death. But seeing Jane alive the last case was most likely not relevant.

Still, I was blinded by fury and knocked the strong man back causing his neck to break in an instant so he fell to the floor lifelessly. At the same time I finally had the view on Celestes bed where I saw her torso bleeding from two bullet shots. Her arm was hanging down from the bed numbly and her eyes were like a puppets.

In the corner near the bed there was the liveless body of Raven and all my senses went numb. Celeste was dead, Jane seriously hurt and I would need all the luck in the world that Raven was just unconscious. But all of this...

It was because of me... Mellontikos was doing this because of me.

The second man was still holding the motionless body of Jane after he witnessed his comrade falling to the floor.
I saw the gun in his hand and reached for it but the second my hand touched the metal, a shock of electricity went through my body and I screamed in pain.

Electricity... that gun was a decoy. These people had planned this through. They must have predicted that someone would reach for the gun. I felt so stupid.

I felt my body shaking for a few seconds and that was enough for the man to grab me from behind and let his nails sink into my arm.
What the hell was happening here?!
Who exactly were those people that they overwhelmed us so easily?

Soon I sank to the floor. My vision unfocused and refocused again and again and I vaguely made out at least 5 more people entering the room. One of them was familiar... one of them... looked exactly like Kate.

Before I could confirm what I saw I had blacked out completely, begging that what I saw was the shape shifter.

...

When I woke up, the first thing I felt was warmth but that didn't calm anything down and I got up in panic.

"Rune, shhh it's me." I realized how I was basically sitting half across Raven on a stone floor leaning against a wall.

His warm eyes captured me in their gaze for a second... he seemed unhurt. Raven was fine. He wasn't dead!

Tears build up in my eyes and I didn't have the strength to hold them back. I already expected him to be dead but here he was sitting, captured in this strange dark room but alive.