chapter [15]

{Rune}

When I got home late that day, Vera was waiting for me in the kitchen with her phone in her hand. Her posture was strangely uncomfortable when she handed me the device without any comment while I still struggled to take off my jacket.

"Who...?" I whispered to her but she wouldn't answer so I took the phone and put it on speaker.

"Hello?" I said unsure what to expect when I was met with the angry and worried voice of granny.

"Rune... Vera refused to tell me anything but next time you don't want me to know where you are you should deactivate your snap chat location..." She stated in that voice of her that sounded like a teacher but at the same time it made me feel sad.

"Granny, I... don't think you'll approve of this but you need to accept that I'm not a child anymore." I tried to start explaining to her without going straight for the shocking news.

"I know you are not a child and I know you and Vera can care for yourselves but there are things out there that you don't know about and you have no experience with those." She argumented against me. I knew well that she was right but the fear of the unknown shouldn't hold a person back and limit their possibilities. It was my decision what to do.

"Then you should have introduced us to all of that sooner. I am sick of hiding and living a life like this, grandma. I want to find out about my family and live in the society that I was born in." I did not raise my voice at her but I stood my point confidently.

"What are you up to?" Granny asked after a few seconds hinting a little fear in her voice. I did love her a lot but right now her worry wasn't what I could endure.

"You don't need to worry. I'm keeping my identity hidden." I shortly stated but that only resolved in the old woman starting to speak faster and more worried than before.

"Rune, one of the most influential and big groups, Inoue group, is in LA. They won't need long to find out about you if you lose focus for just a second!"

"I said I'll manage!"

"No, you might be fast but these gifted groups are not to joke around with! They can wipe you out in one night without anyone noticing. There are not only good people out there, Rune!" Granny complained but I wasn't swayed by her words.

"I don't want to fight them." I explained.

"You will eventually want to at some point. I know I've never spoken much about your parents death because I don't know why we were attacked so suddenly back then... but the Inoue group had always been a close friend before they betrayed us. You can't trust them!!"

"Grandma, you can't judge everyone in the group for what only few might have caused." I coldly replied somehow going into defensive mode for the Inoue group now. Of course I didn't fully trust them but my grandma was blinded by her hate.

"They are egoistic and inhuman like every other group. They only take in the ones that have enough money to pay them. People with poor background, handicapped gifted ones or simply those that pose the slightest threat to embarrass a group are not given attention or care! I can't say that the Falcon group wasn't the same but Rune... that society is full of mistreatment, arrogance and power play. See for yourself like you always do but don't come back crying to me when your imagination of a good world starts to break!"

With that she ended the call and I stood there totally out of myself for a few seconds.
Now that I thought about it, she was right with what she said at the end. All people at Inoue group were healthy, otdinary people but I had never seen anyone of lower social status. A flashback of the man that was taken away by the security guard in front of the Inoue company building replayed in my head. He had suffered from his ability because he couldn't controll it... there had to be many more people like that but if what granny said was true then there was no one to help them.