chapter [17]

{Rune}

"Ready, set, go!" Mr. Gray announced the start of our capture the flag game through the speaker placed on both entrances of the forest.
This piece of landscape was secluded from the city so we needed to drive an hour to get there. There were no people allowed here because it was in private use of the Inoue group.

I tried recalling my advised part in our strategy and went in first to spot enemies quick enough from some high hiding spot. In each group there were about 20 people, both seniors and newcomers of the Inoue group. Me and Raven were in the blue team while Jane, Kate and Ed were part of the red team. Once someone was hit by either a paint bullet, paint grenade or any other weapon like knives or nets they were out of the game and had to go back. Apart from that each group had to protect a flag that the other group had to take and bring to the marked middle of the forest area. It was simple to understand and I was told to have fun but as soon as it started everyone else suddenly got so serious as if it was a real war. The only reason I had to care for winning was that the winning team got free food at the cafeteria for a week but this wouldn't be much fun with the position I was assigned to. I'd rather be part of the team that went looking for the flag of the other team like Raven was but there was no way anyone let me decide about this.

I clinbed up a cliff like rock and gave the others signs of two red squads that I saw approaching from the south and east. A bullet came flying my way but I dodged it easily with no one seeing. The others advanced forward and soon both groups were beginning to fight somewhere between all the bushes and trees.

I joined them by jumping down and taking a red team member by surprise before my paint knife hit his side and he was out.
If I wanted I could just use the advantage of surprise using my speed ability with no one noticing all the time but that wad too risky so I kept only fighting people if I necessarily had to and instead focused more on watching the situation.
At some point when only about 3 people from 15 fighting there were left I decided to throw our strategy away and do my own thing. Team play or not, I wouldn't bore myself to death here.
They put me in the wrong position there and I did want to enjoy this game as much as possible if I was forced to do it.

After 10 more minutes of silently advancing forward I was suddenly attacked from behind before my reflexes kicked in and I squatted down to avoid getting hit by yet another paint bullet that was shot at me. When turning around I saw Kate and immediately pulled the trigger of my own gun. The bullet hit her knee coloring the fabric of her pants blue.

This time it was real and I didn't have to hide my skill as much to not stick out. I didn't hesitate and shot somewhere with no risk of hurting her but still, her eyes widened when she came to the realization that she was out.

"Rune... that was amazing." She stated in awe and I grinned and jokingly winked at her.

"See you when we won." I said back and turned around to continue approaching the south east end of the area while Kate had to go to the middle area.
It felt satisfying to finally show a little more of what I could do and not be scolded for it by Raven all the time.

But after 20 more minutes sneaking through the bushes and woods, it felt odd not having met any other person although I had already reached the south end. Of course there was a possibility I was watched by hidden enemies but why not attack when I had to be close to where their flag was located? Another thing that was weird was how none of our team mates was here already. The area was large so it could be a mere coincidence. That was what I kept in mind when continuing to go east and search for the flag.
At some point I finally spotted 3 of the red team mates strolling around some rocks where the flag had to be hidden.

I climbed up a tree and watched them quietly. From where I was I could try to shoot them but my aim was bad and in close combat against possible Inoue family members I had the disadvantage because of their strength. Should I go back and search for back up now that I knew about their location? Or should I try to get the flag with a strategy?