An Explanation

"Lucas."

His blue eyes watch me skeptically, "What are you doing out here?"

"Nothing..." I say.

Lucas and Slate are best friends, so he could be involved. But do bestfriends tell eachother this kind of thing? Wouldn't it be kind of weird if they both shared me?

Who am I kidding, I have no idea how this kind of thing works.

"You seem out of sorts," he looks at me concerned, "are you okay?"

"Yep, I just went on a walk, I should be getting back now, and I don't want to keep you from wherever you were headed, so bye," I start to walk away.

"Look, Tori, you obviously need a ride, I will give you one," he offers.

"I'm fine," I say.

"Why are you scared?" He asks.

Maybe it's my complete exhaustion, or the genuine concern in his eyes, but I agree and get in the car in the passenger seat.

"So what are you doing out this late?" I ask.

"Just a late night drive," he explains.

"hmm."

With all of the adrenaline gone I realize just how tired I really am. 

I yawn.

My eyelids are heavy.

Black.

***

"Shut up!" I yell sleepily to the voices outside my door.

I am so not a morning person.

The muffled conversing continues. 

I groan and stand up. Unfortunetely bringing my focus back to my surroundings.

Back to that square room with the tv and closet.

Back to "my room" my prison.

Well this sucks.

Before I breakdown and I cry I decide to pick up my dignity and do something productive.

I put my ear to the door,

"dude, you let a mortal girl escape?!" what sounds like Lucas's voice asks in an immused voice.

Mortal?

"Shut up," Slate.

"No one's gonna ever let you live this down!"

How many people know about this?

"Yes they are, because you aren't going to tell anyone," Slate says in a low, threatening voice, "Anyway, that's why we have you, for back up."

Back up?

"Why don't you just tell her?" asks Lucas's voice.

"You know why," answers Slate.

All of the sudden the door that I was just pressed against opens and in turn I tumble onto the landing before the stairs.

Slate looks down at me condescendingly, "you know, you shouldn't eavesdrop."

"You know, you shouldn't hold loud conversations right next to a soundproof room with a curious girl sleeping in it," I challenge back.

Lucas chuckles and holds his hand out to help me up.

I take it and stand.

"Soo... were you guys talking about me?" I ask, surprisingly calm.