Chapter 58: Fates Ruled by Hearts

Start from the beginning

"Oh baby, why are you still up?" Chaeyoung slowly spoke as she coughed her throat until a voice that sounded similarly to her usual one came out.

"You haven't gotten home yet....can you read me a bed time story? The one you always tell me? Please?" Areum begged with a charming smile.

Knowing enough on how to use her charms to persuade her mom, the little girl wrapped her arms around her mother's neck as she carried her upstairs to the girl's room.

Tucking Areum gently and securely, Roseanne laid beside her daughter while she gently brushed away a strand of hair away from Areum's face.

"Hmm, my love, you look so much like your dad" Roseanne breathed out under her breath.

"You love appa Junhoe, right?" Areum asked with a soft smile.

"Hmm, I do" Chaeyoung responded before placing a kiss on the girl's forehead.

"But not as much as you love daddy" Areum finishes.

The child's statement made the lawyer stiffen before retracting her body back to her own space.

"what do you mean, my love?"

As she gently looked and observed the movement and the emotions found on her daughter's face, a heavy guilt and weight came on Chaeyoung's shoulders.

Areum looked so much like him. Especially with that specific smile.

"That time you said you ate dinner with Uncle Chim chim, you looked happy. It's how you say I look when I see ice cream. But on the days you're with appa, you're eyes look like that mommy." Areum says quietly.

"Like what?" She chokes out the sob as she fakes a smile.

"Like me when I found out that the little dog I always played with at the park can't play with me anymore." Areum finishes before snuggling deeper into her mother's chest.

Roseanne knew what her child meant. Sadness. Pure and blue sadness in its greatest form.

"You always tell me that the prince and princess in my story books end up together because they love each other a lot. So why aren't you with Uncle Chimchim?" The innocence and the underlying meaning of those simple words struck Chaeyoung to the core.

How could her daughter speak in such ways.

As she fell deeper into her thoughts, she later realised the soft snores coming from her daughter. Soft snores that made her heart beat a little better than before.

Regardless of the slumbered state of her daughter, before leaving her daughter's bed, hugging her one last time and give her one last kiss on the head, she whispered lightly,

"I can't be with him because up to this day, my love, I'm still afraid.

I'm afraid to tell him. Because I know that the moment your father knows about the truth..." before she could continue further, Roseanne calmed herself down as she felt the prickle of warm tears flow down her cheeks.

"The moment he finds out, he'd turn the world upside down to get us back."

_