(26) Forgiven

Week 3 of living alone.
I ran out of chocolate.
At least the internet is good :3
So here's a new chapter and thank you so much for 25K! :D
This one was one of my favourites to write as its kind of the silence before the big storm. Not too many spoilers. Thank you to everyone voting and commenting, it means a lot :D
Enjoy!

The sun was already setting when Clay realised that he had been staring at the stone wall of his cell for several hours.

The tiny window above him let barely any of the vanishing sun light in and the whole cell got even darker.

He thought about everything and nothing, about his parents and his sister, about the little spider on the cold floor, about his friends at the Rebellion, about the puddle in the corner, about his dead siblings, about the spider web near the ceiling, about Darryl and his wellbeing, about the goosebumps on his arm, about their execution which was coming closer and closer, about the long scratch on his right hand, about the royal family and Fulga who suddenly decided to be merciful, about the dried blood on the walls which origin he did not know and about George who let all of this happen.

The high security cells they were locked in were not only making it impossible to break out but also created the loudest silence Clay had ever experienced.

The cells were empty, except for a thin blanket and a bucket in the corner which smelled terribly and had a few puddles next to it.

Besides the tiny window under the ceiling the only opening was a small hole in the door where the soldiers could throw the leftovers of their food into the prisoner's cells.

When Clay and Darryl stood close to it, they could talk to each other. 

Darryl was still struggling to stand for a longer time and was usually sunken against the door, making muffled noises of despair.

Clay wondered if Darryl was scared of dying but at the same time he denied the whole situation for himself.

He constantly told himself that someone would come and save them, that there was a way to escape.

Everytime he heard even the tiniest noise from far away, he jumped to his feet, holding his breath and expected the door to burst open any moment with a group of rebels standing in the door frame.

But nobody came.

Clay wondered if the Rebellion even tried to come back for them.

They managed to rescue Karl, who had an important position as a rebel- but Darryl and him were surely not priority number one.

What if the Rebellion came just before the execution? Would they be quick enough to save the two of them from being killed?

Darryl had told him how the news about the fake far front were spreading through the whole Vilis population. A lot of Vilis apparently escaped before the army could take them, joining the Rebellion or simply hiding with their help.

Could all the Vilis stand up and prevent their execution?
If just enough people would fight for the Rebellion…

Could there ever be a happy end for the Vilis? Even after his execution?

Would his death change anything about how some people thought?

Clay was sure that some Pretiosi would be upset about his death too. If they saw him about to be executed and if they saw his purple eyes, would they stand up and say something?

Would they stand up against the Empire for a supposed Vilis with purple eyes?

Whenever a thought related to George crept into his mind, he angrily pushed it away.