APOCALYPSE 27

WE BOTH FULFILLED OUR PROMISES (AN LDR true-life Story)

They say that distance is just a test to see how far love can travel.

Indeed, it's true.

Jeanelee is the epitome of a woman that I want to spend my life with. She's classy, kind, and sophisticated woman I've ever met. She has a soft voice like an angel but has a demon personality when it comes to her passion in life.

We were too young when we have started our relationship. We actually don't know what we are doing at that time. The only thing that I know was I'm happy whenever she's with me.

We were crazy in love with each other.

Our relationship was far from perfect. It was riddled with flaws and imperfections. Exactly like what other couples have gone through. We have disagreements and misunderstandings from time to time, but we always choose to fix our relationship raher than end it.

I thought that years being with her, we had faced the most difficult challenges that any normal couple would face.

But I guess, I was wrong.

One day her family decided to moved in Canada. When I heard about this, my heart shattered into pieces. Being far away from the person you love was the hardest thing in life.

That time we were only left with two choices; to continue our relationship or to end it as soon as she leaves.

"Langga..." She weakly said.

I just smiled at her. It was always heaven whenever she called me Langga.

"We are leaving and will never come back again. It will hard for us if continue this relationship. LDR was so hard," She said while tears are streaming down her cheeks.

I just hug her and said, "It's not going to be easy. It's going to be really hard. We're going to have to work at this every day. But I want to do that... Waiting is so hard," I left a deep sight and continued, "but I'll spend as much time alone as I have to, if that means getting to spend the rest of my life with you," I whispered to her very softly.

She cried a lot because of what I said to her.

I stare into her eyes and said, "Promise me, you'll wait for me. We'll wait for each other. And when the time gives us a chance to hug and kiss each other again like this. I will marry you, Langga."

She just nods at me.

"I promise that I'll wait for you, Arnel. I'll wait even it will take months or years as long as your heart belongs to me."

Tear slowly gushing down to my cheeks. I love this woman very much. It hurts a lot because she will leave me but I know someday it will be worth it.

"My heart will always belong to you, Langga"

That was the last day I saw her in person. That was the last day when I felt her warm hugs and kisses. But I know in myself that one day I'll able to hug her again.

We decided to continue our relationship despite we are far from each other. We were both scared but we both know that we will make it.

The first two years were the most challenging. There were a lot of adjustments. We encountered the most sleepless nights, gave each other video calls and phone calls. We both shared a lot of tears.

Marami rin nagsasabi sa'kin na walang nagtatagal sa LDR. Na iwanan ko na siya at humanap nang mas malapit. Yung tipong nakikita at nayayakap ko. Yung palaging nasa tabi ko kapag may problema ako.

But instead of getting down from their distasteful remarks on our relationship, I just ignored them.

Jeanelee and I remained strong despite being thousands of miles apart.

Some people would laugh and say, it's stupid for someone to kiss their phone or laptop screens, or even cuddling a pillow wishing it was your other half but it is the only way to feel that person whenever they are far away.

Distance really tested our relationship.

Our relationship was a roller coaster ride. We experience a lot of struggles. The lack of time and communication is our greatest enemy.

Kapag tatawag ako ay madalas tulog siya dahil gabi sa kanila habang umaga naman sa'kin. Minsan iniisip ko kung kakayanin ko ba. Pero sa tuwing naaalala ko yung pangako namin sa isa't-isa lahat ng doubts ko nawawala.

Madalas pa nga na puro good morning at good night lang ang update namin sa isa't-isa dahil hindi laging nagtutugma ang oras sa amin.

But with the right commitment and communication, the distance would not matter.

Years had passed the most awaited moment has come. Finally, we will meet each other again.

Our goal to be together in three years ended up seven years.

Hindi madali ang naging flight ko papunta ng canada dahil na rin sa pandemic. Madaming proseso ang pinagdaanan at ilang quarantine hotel na rin ang pinaglagian ko para lang makita at makayakap siya.

When I have arrived in Canada the first person I saw was her beautiful face. I ran as fast as I can and hug her tightly.

Tears were flowing down my cheeks when I finally hug her.

"I miss you so much, Langga," I said while crying on her shoulder.

"I miss you too, Langga. You fulfilled your promises." She was grinning from ear to ear.

I just kiss her on the lips.

I smiled at her sweetly and said, "We both fulfilled our promises,"

We kiss again at the airport while people are staring at us.

God really works in mysterious ways. LDR is not a trend. It was a war. A war within your doubts and temptations. It was really hard.

The best part of being in love is not being together every day. It's being assured that even though your miles and miles away, she will always be in love with you and with you only.

I realized that life takes you to unexpected places but love brings you home.

And with God as the center of your relationship nothing will really impossible.

I stare at her eyes intently and whispered,

"For almost seven years without you by my side, finally we are together again. If I will have to go through this again and wait for seven years more. I will always choose you Jeanelee... Because every day being with you is a blessing."

For seven years it was a nightmare for us.

But for now, we were in heaven.

I wipe those tears on her eyes.

"Langga for seven years of waiting," I paused for a moment and continued,

"I am finally home."