004 | OCEAN EYES

The hours had gone by like minutes that day. Mikasa opened the front door of her house and entered. As soon as she was inside she kicked her shoes off, threw her purse on the ground, and collapsed onto her couch. She buried her face into her pillow, stifling a yawn. Her eyelids felt so heavy. It was a long day.

She had interviewed the lawyer she had to meet up with and talked about transportation in Shiganshina. Mikasa hoped it would make a good story. Her mind suddenly transported back to the blonde girl and the man with the newspaper. Curious. Mikasa had thought about this all day long and somehow she convinced herself it was just her imagination.

How could a man disappear into thin air? It was impossible. As Mikasa started to drift off she felt a little tap on her arm. She looked up, her eyes stinging at the bright light. She saw Jean's big figure hovering over her. Mikasa's eyes widened as she sat up. "What are you doing here?" She asked, getting lightheaded from sitting up too fast.

"It's passed seven, my pearl. You wouldn't answer my texts or calls. I was worried something had happened to you," Jean said, frowning. "I just came to check if you were okay." He said in a whisper, squeezing Mikasa's hand. Mikasa suddenly remembered their date.

"My goodness!" She said, placing her hand over her mouth in surprise. "Jean, please forgive me, I totally forgot. My head's been everywhere, oh my. I'll go get ready," Mikasa said, starting to stand. Jean grabbed her shoulders and made her sit back down. "No, no, it's fine. What if we just cuddle for a bit?" He said. Mikasa frowned. "You sure?" She asked. "Of course." Jean kissed her forehead gently. "Scooch over." He said. Mikasa shuffled a little to the side as Jean sat down.

"Lay your head on my laps." He said. Mikasa did as she was told. She stared into Jean's eyes, his observing hers. Her eyes moved down to his lips. A sudden shiver ran down her spine.

"How was today?" He asked. Mikasa didn't know what to start with. "Tiring. I woke up at four and had this long phone call with my boss about some story ideas and stuff going on in Shiganshina." Mikasa said, letting out a big yawn.

"Did you eat breakfast?" Jean was quick to ask. Mikasa wrinkled her nose. "No." She mumbled.

"Lunch?" Jean insisted. "Does a doughnut count?" Mikasa asked. Jean shook his head. "Darling. No, it doesn't count. Gosh, I knew you hadn't. You're on the pale side today." He examined her as Mikasa tried to cover her face. He chuckled.

"I knew something was up. You wouldn't answer my calls and once I came here, the door was open. I got scared. I thought something bad had happened to you."

There was a moment of silence as Jean played with Mikasa's hair. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Don't be," Jean responded quickly.

"Have I ever told you how in love I am with your hair?" Jean whispered as he kissed Mikasa's cheek. At this, she blushed.

"Let's go to the kitchen. I'll make you some dinner while you tell me about your day." He said, kissing her nose. They both got up and made their way to the kitchen. Mikasa sat at the white island in the middle of the big room. Jean gave Mikasa a banana and some cheese cubes to snack on while the food was ready.

It wasn't the first time Jean had cooked for her. He already knew his way through the kitchen. "You won't believe, the craziest thing happened to me." Mikasa finally blurted out.

"Hm?" Jean hummed as he focused on the food, his back facing Mikasa.

"I think I'm going crazy. Seeing things." Jean paused as he slowly turned to face Mikasa. "How come?" He said, raising his eyebrow. She had gotten his full attention. "While I was on the phone with you talking about...dinner." Mikasa felt the guilt.

"I saw this girl I've never seen before. She was pretty. But next to her I saw this man,"

"A man?" Jean asked, his voice on edge. "Yeah. But," Mikasa bit the inside of her cheek as she debated on telling him. Many what-ifs were going through her mind. Her heart started pounding as she clenched her fists.

"That man was Eren." She said in a small voice. Silence filled the room, the only thing audible were the eggs sizzling in the pan. Mikasa looked down at her nails. She caught herself chipping her nail off.

Jean sighed as he walked over to Mikasa. She didn't dare look at his face. Her heart was pounding loudly in her ears. He knelt down to her level. Mikasa refused to meet his eyes. She was regretting her decisions. Now that she admitted it out loud, she did sound crazy.

Jean cupped her cheeks in his warm hands and lifted her head up. Mikasa kept looking anywhere but his eyes, her face heating up. "Look at me."

His words were simple. No emotion behind them. Mikasa looked at Jean. To her surprise, he was smiling. A sincere smile. "Mikasa," He chuckled lightly.

"We've been over this many times. Eren is dead." The words escaped his mouth so smoothly. Mikasa took a few deep breaths. "I know, I'm sorry." She said. "I just can't accept it yet." She whispered.

Jean sighed as he let her face go. "If you want, if it helps, I can take you to the cemetery tomorrow. I believe you haven't seen his grave yet?" Jean said, standing up and walking to the pan.

"Really?" Mikasa asked. "Of course." Jean mumbled. Mikasa smiled as she felt something wet hit the back of her hand. She looked down surprised. A drop of water. Mikasa touched her cheek as she felt the wet spot. She was crying. A tear entered her mouth, the flavor taking over her taste buds. Salt. Like an ocean.

Mikasa started rubbing her sleeve on her face. Why am I so sensitive? Mikasa thought. Jean walked up to Mikasa placing a plate in front of her. She raised an eyebrow.

"Omelette for dinner?" She asked. Jean nodded. "There's nothing wrong with breakfast for dinner." He said, sneaking a bite from her omelet. He chewed it slowly, closing his eyes. "Tasty if I do say so myself." They both laughed. Jean took his seat across Mikasa as he started talking about his day. As she started eating her omelet, a big smile was drawn on her face. Tomorrow was a very anticipated day.

She would visit Eren.