FOUR

That night, Kaz seemed agitated. He was stood by the mirror, his head leaning on the wall and his eyes shut. I went to move from the desk so he could have some time to himself but as soon as my hands moved to help me jump down, Kaz's cane blocked my path.
"You're a bit to reliant on that thing don't you think?" I teased him with a smirk.
"I didn't give you permission to go anywhere. After what happened to me tonight with Pecker Rollins, I don't want you out of my sight. I know you can protect yourself but I'm not losing you again. Once he knows you're back, which by now he probably does, I know he will want you. He wants all the gorgeous women to himself. He uses them too. Please promise me that if you hear even a whisper of his name or if you catch the slightest glimpse of him or one of his men, you get your arse straight back to me. Not Jesper, not Inej...me. And you know I don't give you orders lightly." Kaz breathed out, cupping my face with both hands and looking me in the eye.
"I promise you. I'll come straight to your side." I smiled softly at him. Kaz's eyes closed briefly before he stood himself upright again. "Can I ask why though? How come Inej doesn't have the same rule?"
"Because I never intended to keep Inej. I was merely intrigued by her ability to throw knives but it seems she would make a better tailor or perhaps even a seamstress." He said, a taunting smile playing on his half open lips.
"What makes you say that. I can throw knives and shoot a gun." I furrowed my eyebrows, attempting to stand up again but Kaz keeping me sat where I was.
"Inej can't kill. If she's refusing to kill because of religion or purely out of personal morals, she isn't the right member for this gang. Inej isn't my concern anymore, Jesper can look out for her. My only concern is you and keeping you safe. Besides, we've seen how deadly you can be on many occasions now haven't we...Blade." He smirked, using his nickname for me.
"You pissed off Pecker Rollins!? How could you be so-!?" A feminine voice said, walking in. "-Oh I um...sorry." The woman apologised after realising she'd walked right in without knocking or making her presence known. I was thankful Kaz had his hand on mine which was clutching the sleeve of my jacket that concealed my Karambit.
"Inej...this is Chelsea. Chelsea...Inej." Kaz introduced us.
"Nice to meet you!" I chirped, extending my free hand to her. She shook it warily before backing away again.
"Now, care to explain that rude intrusion just then. Not to mention the way in which you spoke to me." Kaz began, standing upright.
"Who is this asshat anyways. Just so I'm clear?" I piped in, stopping the conversation quickly.
"Richest and most untouchable man. He gets what he wants and nobody says 'no' to him. He's a king. And Boss is just the bastard of the barrel, no offence." She said, clearly wary of speaking her words.
"None taken." Kaz replied.
"I can't go on this mission." Inej said. I cheered inside.
"I know. So it's a good job Chelsea is back then isn't it. At least I still have an assassin but this time, one that can kill without hesitation." Kaz spat sharply.
"So I have to go back to the menagerie?" Inej asked.
"For now. If you're still there when we return, I'll free you. Consider this a punishment for failing." He said before dismissing her. She nodded and looked at me with a smile of gratitude before turning on her heel and leaving. Kaz walked back over to me and grabbed my jaw roughly before slamming his lips onto mine. Two and a half years and this is my reward. Kaz Brekker finally claiming me as his own. I returned his kiss and entangled my fingers in his hair, tugging at the roots and making a moan come from his throat. We parted after a few seconds and caught our breath, the tingling sensation still very much alive throughout my body.
"Mine..." Kaz whispered softly in my ear, kissing my cheek gently and then letting me jump down off the desk.
"So when do we head out?" I asked.
"Sunrise. We've got the conductor, the goat and the coal. Now all we need is some rest." Kaz smiled down at me gently.
"Rest it is then." I smiled back before the both of us headed to bed. Kaz wrapped his arms around me and held me close to him all night.

THE NEXT MORNING

Kaz woke me up by shaking me gently. It was dawn and I could hear voices downstairs. Jesper and the conductor were here and I could have sworn I heard a goat too. I groaned before rolling out of bed and beginning to get ready to go earn ourselves a million Krueger.
"Did I just hear a goat?" I asked Kaz.
"Yes. I don't know why we need a goat but that's what our conductor said we needed." Kaz replied, packing some smoke bombs in his bag. Those were Kaz's only means of escape. He was a master at vanishing and disappearance. I'd seen him do it before, he'd throw one on the ground and the smoke mixed with the bright flash of light would stun and daze his attackers whilst he slipped away amongst the smoke.
"Ok. I'm ready. Are you ready?" I asked him, picking up my bag.
"I suppose. We could die doing this. And I just want you to know that you mean the world to me. I love you." He said, pulling me against him and hugging me close. I'd missed hearing those words come from his mouth. I knew I was home.
"I love you too Kaz. I always have and I always will." I smiled up at him before pressing a soft kiss to his lips and then heading downstairs to greet everyone before the dangerous journey began.