2

A long trip it certainly was. Not only was the company Hyunjin was in absolute ass, the trip in itself genuinely took an eternity. They'd left at noon and the sun was already starting to set, the familiar feeling of hunger had been gnawing in the pit of his stomach for a while now. Jiwoo and Chonhee, the girls that rode with him, were talking about all the reasons as to why they should be the one to marry Prince Changbin. It made Hyunjin inwardly gag, hearing them say they'd make good housewives and that they'd be able to take good care of their future kids.

He really wished he could've rode a horse now.

"So, what makes you think you have a chance, of all people? Is it because you think you're attractive? Looks aren't going to get you there alone, Hwang." Jiwoo said suddenly, talking to Hyunjin for the first time since their departure. It shocked him a bit, causint him he to be unable to hide the clear surprise that was drawn across his face.

"Excuse me?" He responded, not wanting to believe he'd actually heard those things just now. He'd never liked Jiwoo growing up as she'd always been a bit stuck up, but he'd never imagined her to be this rotten. His impression didn't become better when she decided to double down on her words.

"You heard me. Looks alone won't get you anywhere, I don't understand why you even came. You have nothing to offer him. Plus, you're a man! It's not like you could even offer him children if he'd choose you!"

"Jiwoo-ssi, don't talk like you actually know what the crown prince would want. The fact that men are allowed to apply to this clearly shows he doesn't care about that last statement of yours. Besides, I might not have anything other to offer than looks, but that's at least more than you can offer." With that, he turned his head to stare out the window, conversation over and done with. He watched as he saw the castle on the hill finally draw closer, inwardly laughing to himself as he noticed Jiwoo was at a loss for words. Chonhee wisely kept her mouth shut and decided to distract the now burnt girl as she talked away about whoever designed her dress.

At last, the carriage stopped in front of a large building near the castle. Hyunjin let the girls get out first, smiling sickingly sweet as he told them 'ladies first'. He took in the sight of the giant mansion-like building, wondering what they were doing here. It seemed that his question would be answered just a few seconds later.

"Good evening kids. I'm Rowoon, a guard here at the Tiangheng facility. In two days all participants will be gathered in the gardens behind the mansion, where the personal guards of the crown prince will pick out anyone they think could match with the prince. If you're not picked, you'll take your belongings and head back home instantly. Until then, I'll show you to your rooms. Any questions?"

"Uhm, yes." Hyunjin said, raising his hand a bit. Rowoon nodded, showing the boy he was listening. "How many will be picked, and how will it go after that?"

"Well, the Royal Line will pick whomever, so there's no maximum. I think after that they do some solo 'interviews', before the final few get to meet the prince."

"Alright... thank you."

The three were then escorted to a room which they would potentially share with someone else, if there were a lot of participants. Hyunjin closed the door behind him as soon as Rowoon has shown him his room, a tired sigh escaping his lips as he opened his eyes to look around the room. His breath got caught in his throat as he took in the room. It was a spare bedroom for sure, yet it was definitely the most luxurious room he'd ever stayed in.
There were two single beds in either corner of the room, a small nighstand inbetween both of them. Everything looked well kept and tidy, which led Hyunjin to wonder how many maids this specific mansion had. He rushed over to the bed, touching the silk sheets as he let out an excited squeak. Quickly taking off his dirty clothes of the day, he jumped into bed.