18 - Officially

༻✦༺
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18
༻✦༺

2.5k words

(Y/n)'s POV
As I sat on my bed with an open book laying in front of me, I dived myself into a world that was vastly different from my own reality. It's one of my favorites things about reading; living a whole separate life that gives you a satisfying break from your exhausting one - everyone deserves an escape once in awhile.

My attention was locked inside of the story, so I didn't even hear Anakin's motorcycle come down the street as I usually do, nor did I hear him knocking.

What I did hear was the sound of my front door opening and closing. My dad was already gone for work, and Josie split over an hour ago to go have a secret meet-up with Piett. So it had to be him, and I did once tell him he can come inside whenever he wants.
(Remember it's the 50's, no one ever locked their doors when they were home - some even not when they weren't home.)

"You can come up," I shouted as I continued on reading, but when I didn't hear a response or even the sound of steps ascending the stairs; I grew confused, "Ani?" I looked up and stared into the hallway through my open door.

After a few more seconds of silence, I placed a bookmark to mark my page before I closed it, and pushed myself off of the comfort of my bed.

I poked my head out of my room, and listened for any noise - if it was any later I'd probably just hear the sound of crickets chirping. Now I began to second guess myself on if I had heard anything at all, or if it was my mind playing tricks on me.

I walked over to the railing and took a glance at the foyer below me, right where the front door was - something caught my attention. Now I knew that I hadn't just heard anything because the small indoor wreath we keep on the door was swaying side to side. Meaning that someone had to have opened the door.

"Anakin, are you here?" I called to him, but once again, I didn't get a response. I groaned in annoyance as I turned to the stairs and began descending them, "If you're trying to scare me blondie, it won't work. I don't scare easily-"

"Boo!" Anakin popped out from the living room to my right, just as I reached the bottom of the stairs. I immediately screamed and nearly jumped out of my skin from how much he startled me.

"Ani!" I scolded him as I smacked him on the chest while he continued to laugh as hard as he could over my fright.

"What happened to 'I don't scare easily'," He mocked me.

I scowled; folding my arms over my chest,"You're not funny, I almost had a heart attack."

He didn't stop giggling as he grabbed my forearm and pulled me towards him, "I'm sorry beautiful, but that's what you get for leaving your doors unlocked when you're home alone." He pinched my cheek playfully, but I could tell he was slightly annoyed at me that I kept the door unlocked.

"Nothing ever happens in this boring town, so why should it matter?" I shrugged.

"Now that is where you are wrong. A lot more happens in this town than you think," The grip he had on my arm tightened slightly as he used his other hand to poke my nose, "So please always keep your door locked if you're alone. I'd hate to have to have to go back to jail for killing anyone who dares lay a finger on you." He rubbed my cheek with his knuckle dotingly.